Thread: bosch colt router

bosch colt router

I am considering buying a bosch colt pr 20 router to do inlay work on my turnings. Does anyone have experience with one of these machines? Is it suitable for inlay work? Thanks in advance. Jared

2. I have the Bosch Colt router. Its a great little trim router for sure, but the standard inlay bushing kit will not fit into its base, as it uses it’s own size ring. You could check with Bosch to see if they sell their own inlay kit for it. I’d be interested to know as well.
    Edit:
    Ok, I just did some looking, and the Colt PR20EVS palm router will accept standard template guide, providing you get the clear PR110 sub base for it, which I don’t have right now, but will in a few days! This router is the ideal size for inlay work!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-23-2018 at 1:23 PM. Reason: additinal info
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jared, if you own a Dremel you may want to consider the Stew Mac base for it - a quality piece of equipment and while I don't use it for inlay work, it does a great job for other tasks. I would think it would be lighter and more ergonomic than the Colt, but I have not used the Colt so I can't say that for sure.Untitled.jpg

Left click my name for homepage link.

I use both a Colt and a Foredom with a homemade router base for inlays like the Dremel base already posted. I also use a Harbor Freight trim router set up on a jig that I use for cutting flutes on spindles. It is 6 of one and half dozen of the other as to what is my favorite,.

Not sure if this will work, but Bosch is releasing a 12v cordless router in a couple of days. Here's the listing on Amazon.

I don't have a Bosch laminate router, but I do have a PC and Ryobi laminate routers. My preferred INLAY router is my Dremel. Light and maneuverable. Not a lot of power is required, and the Dremel doesn't have power.......

If you're considering going with the Dremel, Lee Valley has recently introduced a plunge base for it that looks quite substantial. http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...000,51208&ap=1

I have a Bosch Colt and I have two complaints with it. It is hard to adjust & lock the base in place, as it will creep if I put any downward pressure on it. My bigger complaint is that the button you hold down to lock the arbor so as to use a wrench to loosen/tighten the collet is difficult to hold in place. You need lots of pressure to keep it locked. A third hand would help. As mentioned, you need an adaptor base to use standard bushings. I've not used any other so don't know if there's a better alternative.

I've used my Dremel with router bits and the StewMac base for other purposes, and like that its easy to see where the bit is going.

I made a base for my cordless ridgid router to accept the porter cable bushings out if some 1/4” lexan I had lying around the shop. Easy enough with a few fortsner bits.

I use the Bosch Colt router for fluting and incising on my lathe. It is a great little machine. Now Bosch offers a plunge base, dust collection and a separate round sub base that accepts standard Porter Cable style guide rings which accept inlay kits. Super versatile and can also handle 8mm router bits with an aftermarket collet.
    Colt1.jpg

Colt Base 2.jpg

Colt Plunge Base.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 06-24-2018 at 8:18 PM.
    Dick Mahany.