Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Working on another Project..maybe

Working on another Project..maybe

A small, three drawer chest of drawers, that my 8 yr old Grandson can use.....will try to build as careful as I can, so I don't spring any "leaks"

usually, a Frame & Panel case is made.....rather than a glued up slab. Unable to resaw the 2 x4s down into 4/4 x 3" that I like to use...bandsaw issues. Maybe do a glue-up like I used for the Stepback Cupboards.....and use a sliding dovetail to connect the sides to the webframes....maybe a separate face frame? Same with the top, just a glued up panel, attached to corner blocks.

Drawer size: may just make all three the same. Three full width drawers, using 1 x8s. Maybe 24" or so wide.

Now have a supply of Cut-resistant gloves. My son works at a factory that makes windows for cars and trucks....brought home a pair from there. Trying to limit using the chisels on this Project.

May go looking around...and see IF there is some 5/4 Pine available. Might be able to use that to make a frame & panel.....if not ( or they want too much $$$) I go with the glue-up sides.

Will not be anything real fancy, but needs to hold up to a 8yr old boy. We don't call him GrandBRAT for nothing....

Stay tuned....have one month to get something done...

Went to the Green Borg, today...did a bit of pricing....not counting the plywood, right at $40 for just the Pine parts.....Poplar 1 x 8 x 12' was almost that bu itself....didn't even price the Random Maple stuff ( OUCH!).....Figure two side panels, a top panel, out of 1 x 10s, and webframes (4) and a face frame out of 1 x 2s and three 1 x 8 x8' for the drawers. 1/4" plywood for a back, and three drawer bottoms...

Maybe a week to build?

Need for Uncle Sugar's Army to pay me my monthly allowance, then I can go and pick up the lumber...
    Stay tuned...

Having "Bandsaw Issues".....lower wheel needs new bearings....sometime..
    IMG_4764 (640x480).jpg
    Tried to resaw some scraps...got to the point I even tried this...thing..out
    IMG_4758 (640x480).jpg
    At least it doesn't burn the wood ( can't move THAT fast)
    IMG_4760 (640x480).jpg
    Today, decided to at least clean the boards up a bit..
    IMG_4769 (640x480).jpg
    Cobbled a little jig, to hold the skinny parts still..
    IMG_4768 (640x480).jpg
    Mostly with a Millers Falls No. 14 and a bit with the No. 900, since it was still out...
    tried again to at least rip some thin Cherry..
    IMG_4770 (640x480).jpg
    I cut this in half, then tried the bandsaw to rip each down the middle...
    IMG_4772 (640x480).jpg
    More work for the planes....need to dig up the model number of the bandsaw, and find out what bearings the lower (drive) wheel takes...
    Just puttering around, waiting on the load of Pine boards to arrive...might try to build a fancy little box. Strips are Oak, Ash, Maple, and this Cherry.
    IMG_4773 (640x480).jpg
    Have already split this apart, at the glueline. Maybe a lid...and a side panel? Will see how bored I get...
    Also have a few 1/4" panels I can use....May bevel their edges, and house them in some grooves....in a Frame & Panel style....

Stay tuned...

BTW: Bandsaw is a Craftsman 12" (80" blade) Model No. 113.27350 ( Emerson built)......will need the lower bearings, IF I can get the old ones out, and find new ones....somewhere...( maybe at NAPA..TSC, Rural King?) NO....I can't afford a new bandsaw right now. That is not an option.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 06-24-2018 at 7:36 PM.

I just did a quick search on Amazon. They seem to have any size you need. Just take the old ones out and measure them.

Would prefer to be able to compare old vs new in a store, to make sure they will indeed match....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    A small, three drawer chest of drawers, that my 8 yr old Grandson can use.....will try to build as careful as I can, so I don't spring any "leaks"
    Your funny Steven. I spring a leak just poking through my wood stash while thinking about a project.

Keep us updated on what is going on with the band-saw; not that I have a bunch of time, but.....

Had guests in the shop yesterday....need to go back down to the shop, and put all the toys away. Will just wait til the weekend, then buy a bit of lumber, and do a little woodworking. Have enough clamps now, I can get the sides glued up, and the top. Need to make four webframes, and a faceframe. Maybe get all this done by the 18th of July?

Have the bandsaw torn down...working on the parts. But, IF I need a bandsaw for the chest of drawers....
    IMG_4787 (640x480).jpg
    I can dig it's back-up out, and put it to work. Craftsman 12" three wheeler.

OK, had to go to Lowes, today...didn't want to...didn't have the time to go over to Menard's for lumber....and paid the price...

Spent $42 on barely enough Pine to build the case. For what Lowes wanted for ONE drawer's worth.....I could have gotten enough for all three drawers. Will go to Menard's for the drawer supplies.

Rather than do a bunch of glue ups of those expensive 1 x 10s.....I got enough glued up panels. Two panels for the sides, and a wider panel for the top. Will cut the topper down as needed. Picked out the best four 1 x 2s in the rack...again, spending 3x what Menard's would have cost. I also picked the best of the rack for a 1 x 3 x 6' for the face frame parts.

Plan now is to make four webframes. Sliding dovetails to connect them to the sides. Then add a face frame over the web frames. Kickers will be added to keep the drawers from tipping down.
    May do a fancy cut out at the bottom of the side panels.....and set the height of the bottom of the bottom drawer. 7" rough openings for the three drawers. Then maybe 3" above the top of the top drawer?

1/4" Luann Plywood for the case's back, and the three drawer bottoms.

Will see how "Part 1" goes..Stay tuned

Three glued up panels..
    IMG_4792 (640x480).jpg
    Skinny two for the sides, larger one will be the top...
    IMG_4794 (640x480).jpg
    Before I put all the toys away, anyone want to see what they can ID?

IMG_4795 (640x480).jpg
    Last chance.......
    IMG_4798 (640x480).jpg
    Oh well...all set to do a bit of work. Need to get the mitersaw set out, to where I can cut the 1x2s down..
    IMG_4796 (640x480).jpg
    And swing it around to 90 degrees...the yellow case?
    IMG_4797 (640x480).jpg
    Need to track down where the missing ones are stashed....25 pc set looking a tad skimpy, right now

Need to haul the 1 x 2s to the shop, later, and start cutting them to size. Hopefully, I have enough of them.
    Stay tuned....

Hmmm...got to thinking....the panels for the sides are only 12" wide....3/4" x 12" x 36".....bit too tippy for a dresser. Will add a 3" wide strip to both side panels as a glue up. They can be set aside, while I build the web frames. May see what "trouble" I can get into, today......there may even be pictures, later Names may need to be changed, though....

So, another "Build Thread" is about to start...stay tuned....

Stopped for a Lunch Break....
    IMG_4799 (640x480).jpg
    1 x 3 cut to length...
    IMG_4801 (640x480).jpg
    One piece glued up....
    IMG_4802 (640x480).jpg
    Other half glued up. Set both aside, start cutting 1 x 2s..
    IMG_4804 (640x480).jpg
    Needed eight piece @ 25" long....didn't leave a whole lot out of four 6' long boards..
    IMG_4805 (640x480).jpg
    Will need 8 pieces for the ends of the webframes....Hmmmknots may be a problem..
    IMG_4806 (640x480).jpg
    Figured out I needed 12-1/2" for the end pieces...gang cut the "best" of the rest..

Had to dig around, and find some scraps...long enough to make four other blanks...needed three, always nice to have an extra one.
    IMG_4808 (640x480).jpg
    Some needed a little work, to make them match for thickness, and at least one straight edge...
    IMG_4809 (640x480).jpg
    Then laid out for 1/2" long tenons..
    Stay tuned..

Laid out for the tenons..
    IMG_4813 (640x480).jpg
    Set the depth stops on the other mitersaw..
    IMG_4812 (640x480).jpg
    Made a few cuts...
    IMG_4815 (640x480).jpg
    Bandsaw to remove the waste..
    IMG_4816 (640x480).jpg
    Need to get out a few chisels, a saw, and the mallet..and clean the shop stool off..
    IMG_4818 (640x480).jpg
    Making sawdust? Had a big handful of these to throw out, too...
    IMG_4817 (640x480).jpg
    Made a mess.

Later, I can either go and buy a bit more lumber, or...chop 16 mortises...
    Letting the two side panels sit a day, before I abuse them, again.....
    Some of the longer cut-offs will have to stick around,,,,need them for the corner blocks I use, to attach the top with.

Heat has been a problem for me.....but, I suppose I could meander to the shop, later today. Have 8 mortises to chop and fit. Then glue up four web frames. Once the glue is dried, I can gang all four up, and mill a sliding dovetail on them. later, when more lumber comes in, I can add the kickers to keep a drawer from tipping down when you open them up. Fun part will be making the sockets for the dovetails in the sides. Need to cut a rebate along the back edge of the side panels....to house the 1/4" thick plywood back.

After I get back from taking the Boss to the store...of course...stay tuned

Quitting time for today was about 6pm....wasn't having a very good day....
    IMG_4822 (640x480).jpg
    I do have gloves fro working near sharp objects...
    IMG_4823 (640x480).jpg
    Like these....
    IMG_4824 (640x480).jpg
    Set up to do a few mortises..
    IMG_4825 (640x480) (2).jpg
    Something like this..
    IMG_4826 (640x480).jpg
    Backsaw to make a couple cuts...
    IMG_4827 (640x480).jpg
    Mortise chisel to chop a hole at the far end..
    IMG_4828 (640x480).jpg
    Then pop the waste out..test fit..
    IMG_4829 (640x480).jpg
    Then mark to make sure they go together at glue-up time, so they go in the right hole..
    Part two of today's misadventures coming right up...stay tuned