Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A most annoying workshop search

One time I tore my garage shop apart half way to hell looking for the wooden mallet. Turns out it was on the bench all along under the magazine that I was reading right before I decided to bang out some dovetails.
    The clean up took the rest of the weekend and I never got to the DTs.

Blog Entries
    (hummm... how can expensive and useless be better than cheap and useless??).
    The expensive and useless usually looks better, the finish is smooth so it doesn't dig into your skin and it doesn't break the first time you do try to do something with it.

At one time tool holders with various items stored in the handle seemed like a neat thing to have. Just like all the other fancy multi-tools they soon proved useless compared to the real thing. The only multi tools that do seem useful are the ones made to use different sewing needles. Those have helped with sewing together some heavy materials.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Spent yesterday trying to clean out part of the barn (getting ready to stack even more hay than before) found stuff. Tools I had misplaced, cast iron pans I intended to clean up, old wooden kiddie furniture to be refinished, three pony saddles, a harness, a sled, There was stuff I forgot I had, stuff I did not know I had and a few things I remember searching for, but I can't remember why I was looking for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    After searching that is when you end up ordering a new one and then finding the original.
    I wish.

My big plastic bin full of zip-ties went walkabout the last time I needed some. So I bought some more...now those are missing too.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It gets better. By the time I got to the end of this thread I forgot what I was going to say. The good part is I don't care so I don't have to think about it.

Oops forgot what people call me??? Oh well maybe another Friday tomorrow.

Gere on the farm, I carry a multi tool on my belt nearly 24-7. Comes in handy for cutting twine, opening boxes, using the pliers to grab things, used the scissors to cut open tyvek shipping envelope just yesterday. It is made by Gerber. It is used at least a dozen times a day. It is certainly not as good as having good quality tools for the individual jobs it does. But I can't see carrying a tool belt with 10 pounds of tools everywhere I go. I cut wire, twine, vines and even use it to grab prickly stuff like thistle, to prune back a few briars, file an edge on my hatchet, occasionally as a screw driver and a lot of other things. It is my second Gerber multitool and I have carried them for almost 20 years now. My Yankee Push drill has the bits in the handle. Never saw a push drill that din't. In this day of battery powered everything, they are not as popular as 50 yrs ago. Helped a guy build a kitchen at an off grid cabin and he used two push drills for nearly everything. The plywood panels were cut in his garage back home, but final assembly was with the push drills.

On a related point, I have been suffering from "I dropped it and it went into a black hole" Recently, within the space of a week, I dropped a steel screw for a brusso hinge, a clamp for the Wynn filter and a pencil and had them all disappear in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    On a related point, I have been suffering from "I dropped it and it went into a black hole" Recently, within the space of a week, I dropped a steel screw for a brusso hinge, a clamp for the Wynn filter and a pencil and had them all disappear in my shop.
    While this is normally what happens to me, recently I have been the recipient of a few items on their way out of the black hole.

I had a green-tinted sheet metal screw (the kind used for attaching the ground wire in an electrical fixture) suddenly appear on my work bench. It must have come from one of your workshops, because it didn't come from mine. I also had a rubber cup-like cover to who-knows-what appear on a ledge outside my garage.

It's always small, insignificant things that appear -- never anything useful like a cordless drill, Domino, or 20" jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    You didn't get the memo. Wood and concrete have the ability to absorb anything. They are especially good at swallowing anything that impacts the surface. Drop something? Don't bother to look, it's gone.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I keep a chalkboard in the shop on which I write the things that I am missing and looking for so I can remember. I cross them off if I find them. Sometimes the same thing shows up again, usually my Starrett square and my digital calipers. I will be needing a bigger chalkboard soon.
    I tried that. Now I'm looking for the chalk.

-Tom