Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A most annoying workshop search

Look on the plus side. Often when I am working the back yard I'll head to the garage to get something, and you guessed it, forget what I went to the garage for and then walk back to the back yard only to realize what I went for. Adds to my step count for the day.

What bothers me is looking for something then finding something that I didn't even know I had. I guess I need to buy bigger more memorable tools.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    What bothers me is looking for something then finding something that I didn't even know I had. I guess I need to buy bigger more memorable tools.
    That doesn't bother me........ it makes me happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    That doesn't bother me........ it makes me happy!
    Yes- but then you realize that thing would have really come in handy on your previous project!

And then you remember that's why you bought it!

I posted this idea on a previous thread, I think on shop organization. Often when I can't find something it's because the last time I reorganized the shop I put it in a new place which at the time seemed like a better place. I'll start my search for it in the old place where I used to keep it. When that happens and I eventually find it and I'm finished using it, I'll put it back in the first place I looked not the new "better" place. Course there's no guarantee that next time I need it I won't look in the "better" place.

I have been out of the workshop for some weeks which is very unusual for me and the other day I walked in and saw that I had left out 8 casters for a job but I am damned if I can remember what it was. To make it worse I have a vague idea Mrs P. asked me to make something for her using the casters and she can't recall it either.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

When I was younger and looking for something I always remember the words of my mother...bless her soul... "Well it has to be somewhere!".....thanks mom...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    When I was younger and looking for something I always remember the words of my mother...bless her soul... "Well it has to be somewhere!".....thanks mom...
    And it took me a year before I found my favourite tape measure by accident, it was somewhere.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Probably the last place you looked.

I make a feeble effort to keep my hoarder tendencies in check but I am a sucker when it comes to useless gadgets. If I was affluent I would have more and better useless gadgets (hummm... how can expensive and useless be better than cheap and useless??).

My go to trick is searching for something, finding something else that's long lost, putting the "find" in a special place where I can find it...but of course that place is instantly forgotten and it's lost again.

It happens to all of us.

About a year ago I started taking taking Ginkgo Biloba because they say it helps your memory and cognition. Took it for about a week, then I'll be darned if I didn't forget where I put the bottle.

Guys, you are funny. Thanks for share your experience... actually I think humans can be very funny. Life is a challenge.

When something turns up in the place I already looked for it twice, I just assume someone is messing with my head. Now if I can just find that guy...

I was going to reply to this thread a couple of days ago but got momentarily distracted and then couldn't remember which thread it was.

FWIW- I now have a Whiteboard in the shop that I post all "thoughts" on in a feeble attempt to keep on track.

Edit 5 minutes later - I came on SMC today to research a sawset and ended up posting on this thread this instead, went back to the shop and remembered why I was on SMC.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 06-26-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Happens to me every day!