Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All I want is a table saw. Here's what that is like when you live outside the 48

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    You see, folks, I live in the US Virgin Islands.
    You need an exporter. The folks who imported the sailboat I used to race from Australia, also had an export business shipping things to the Caribbean. I think mostly the dealt with the Cayman's, but I think they aren't containers everywhere. Literally anything. They'd send cars in containers, yard furniture, building supplies, you name it. Whatever the people wanted.

Something to look into.

Would you not try and get a decent second hand machine with a riving knife shipped to you by someone, instead of getting a portable saw?
    I'm sure theirs a three phase dual voltage saw that could be got for cheap?....might not have the riving knife though.

As to the money, my dad got scammed by shop4hardwareUK when he tried to buy a second hand garden shredder of an the well known site that we all use...
    It took me months and months ...a few hundred messages had to be sent to the auction site, and the protection site allied with the auction site....
    I got the run around big time ...fake shipping addresses all that ...the scammer knew I was the real deal and tried to fob us off sending us a stolen drier instead....
    This got frustrating ....even after telling the well known auction site that this guy was claiming someones identity ...got and gave the details of the poor guy and they eventually realised I wasn't giving up on the matter of principal....
    It took a few drinks for me to come up with the answer
    I had to threaten them and came close to following through with it....the answer you ask
    Character assassination!!!
    I researched the CEO of the site, found all I could about the person in question, and started writing a catchy tune to a musical theme similar to good ol
    Gerry Rafferty's North and South.
    I kept getting the ...you have only so many days to prove this that and the other.....No prob!
    I had everyones correspondence in email, and photos of the stolen item getting sent back and more...I uploaded this correspondence (since taken down)
    on Youtube.
    It came down to you have only 5 days left to give us the additional information ...which I had given allready
    I told them YOU have only three days left tell I start recording this tune in my "studio"
    I was feeding them a new verse every day or so...the tune just got catchier and catchier

Long story short I got the half grand back and got my email hacked forever more
    You win some, you loose some
    These people can have serious influence, suppose that's what happens when your singing the bluse about someones shoes!

It was a "Desperate Dan g situation"
    Principal I will die for, everything else I will turn the other cheek
    Just thought I'd give my 2cents

Good luck Malcolm, make sure its a good'un since you are going to the ends of the earth with this one
    Tomas
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 06-23-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Malcolm, I'll buy you one you want and start shipping it to you one part at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Malcolm, I'll buy you one you want and start shipping it to you one part at a time!
    Exactly..............the Johnny Cash song "One Piece @ a Time"
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    I can ship it by boat, but a freight forwarder will cost more than the shipping. I can fly to San Juan but it will cost me $250 round trip plus the hassle of trying to find a saw on a recovering island where saws are a hot commodity. Since I am going to the states anyway, I will pick one up.

We do have UPS, FedEx, and DHL. It's more costly since they have to clear customs and USPS does not. Also a lot of US places also won't fill out the required paperwork for customs.

Home Depot just got a shipment of Dewalt 20v table saws, but they are not 10" and don't take dado stacks. I am holding out for the skilsaw. I did try out my friend's 20V Dewalt this morning and it was a nice saw- just won't make as deep of a cut as I frequently need. Now that I used his saw, it's not as urgent because that was the cut holding up my current project, so I'm a happy man today. One more week and I head to the states and finally get to buy my saw.

Malcolm, I feel your pain brother. Living here in Texas, I can’t find anyone to deliver me year-round 85 degree days, crystal blue-green water, palm trees, year round kitesurfing, snorkling, pristine white sand beaches and boating paradise.
    Very frustrating��

Maybe if you drove on the right side of the road you would be considered part of the US. Just saying...

Is it harder to buy from Europe? I would think britain would have some presence in the the Caribbean.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Maybe if you drove on the right side of the road you would be considered part of the US. Just saying...
    It keeps the drunken tourists from renting cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Is it harder to buy from Europe? I would think britain would have some presence in the the Caribbean.
    Bill D.
    For larger items it is harder. For smaller stuff it isn't too bad. Most electronics, however, would require a converter.

Malcolm, I have spent a lot of my life abroad and understand international logistics. I also sell tools through the North Carolina Furniture School. I'd be glad to look into shipping for you if you'd like. We carry Robust, Rikon, Harvey, and Nova. Rikon has great prices, some really solid table saws, and great customer service. Good luck my friend
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226

I feel for you Malcolm, Having grown up in New Mexico I have experienced similar events without near the number of possible valid reasons.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Would you not try and get a decent second hand machine with a riving knife shipped to you by someone, instead of getting a portable saw?
    I'm sure theirs a three phase dual voltage saw that could be got for cheap?....might not have the riving knife though.luck Malcolm, make sure its a good'un since you are going to the ends of the earth with this one
    Tomas
    Malcolm's choices include consideration for his particular shop situation. I could be mistaken, but I don't believe he has the space for a larger saw in his beautiful island home.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I hope we make the USVI, Puerto Rico, and one other place into states. Then we will be truly indivisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Sputter. Sputter. Splat! (Coke on the monitor again....)
    Didn't Radar O'Reilley mail a Jeep back from Korea, one piece at a time?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    I hope we make the USVI, Puerto Rico, and one other place into states. Then we will be truly indivisible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...