Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SawStop Overarm Dust Collector?

SawStop Overarm Dust Collector?

I recently purchased a SawStop 5hp ICS with the industrial mobile base. I'm thinking of getting the SawStop TSA-ODC Overarm Dust Collection Assembly but not sure how effective it will be with my Powermatic 1 3/4hp dust collector. Any opinions and advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I recently purchased a SawStop 5hp ICS with the industrial mobile base. I'm thinking of getting the SawStop TSA-ODC Overarm Dust Collection Assembly but not sure how effective it will be with my Powermatic 1 3/4hp dust collector. Any opinions and advice?
    Go for it as you will see the addition of the above the table dust collection a great improvement in dust collection, except in edge cuts. 1 3/4HP is strong enough. Alternatively, some connect the overarm t a shop vac.

However, for max. effectiveness, do not use the stock connector with a 90 elbow chute for the overarm. You can find many sawstop users changing it to an angled (45*?) chute.

There is a secondary benefit of using the overarm dust collection: it forces you to use the dust collection blade guard in general, hence enhancing your safety. i once visited a high school shop where it had three SawStops and saw a sign that said that only teachers could remove the blade guard.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 06-22-2018 at 4:08 PM.

Steve, this has come up in a couple of fairly recent threads. I'm using it with a 2 hp dust collector, and would assess the above-table collection as "better than nothing", but nothing to shout about. I haven't tried connecting a shop vac to the overhead arm, so that might work better, dunno.

I think you'd need a dust collector in the 5 hp range to see really good results both above and below the table, even using a y-adaptor (which I do) as opposed to the t-adaptor that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Steve, this has come up in a couple of fairly recent threads. I'm using it with a 2 hp dust collector, and would assess the above-table collection as "better than nothing", but nothing to shout about. I haven't tried connecting a shop vac to the overhead arm, so that might work better, dunno.

I think you'd need a dust collector in the 5 hp range to see really good results both above and below the table, even using a y-adaptor (which I do) as opposed to the t-adaptor that comes with it.
    Something is wrong here, Nick. I have used ICS and PCS with 1.75HP and 3HP DC (Powermatic) and Y-adaptors with excellent results. Why do you need a 5HP DC for a table saw?

Did you seal the front in your set-up? The huge opening in the saw should be sealed (get the magnet sheets from Staples or other office supplies stores).

The shop vac works great, but it is not my set-up.

Simon

Definitely go for it. Any suction is better than none IMO.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Simon, what "front" are you talking about sealing? Can you show us some pics of your setup?

Simon, what "front" are you talking about sealing? Can you show us some pics of your setup?
    http://www.rockler.com/sawstop-indus...-230v-36-fence

The opening on the front allows the arbor assembly to tilt so you can make bevel cuts. Cut a magnet sheet or two to cover all the openings.

Simon

OK, might give that a try. I really think, though, that we're looking at two different dust collection situations here. The cabinet, which needs a dust collector, and the blade guard, which needs a shop vac.

Before you head out and buy the sheets, try this:

Remove the hose from the overarm dust collection blade guard, turn on the dc and feel the suction with your hand.

Then tape the opening with a cardboard and hold it with masking tape (and cover any small opening not covered by the card board with masking tape too). Turn on the dc and feel the suction with your hand again to see if there is any difference.

The magnet sheets provide convenience when you need to set the saw for angled cuts. The sheets we use are Avery3270, but Staples sheets could be slightly cheaper.

Simon

Sounds like the SawStop overarm dust collector will work for me, especially considering that the saw will be somewhat mobile. What size shop vac works well with it assuming I use my 1 3/4hp Powermatic dust collector strictly for the lower 4" port?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Sounds like the SawStop overarm dust collector will work for me, especially considering that the saw will be somewhat mobile. What size shop vac works well with it assuming I use my 1 3/4hp Powermatic dust collector strictly for the lower 4" port?
    The one I saw (used on an ICS) was a 3.5HP 5 gallon shop vac (not 100% sure!), small enough that it was held to the saw with a bungee cord.

An example of the use of the blade guard: https://youtu.be/lUcoU9ka2eo?t=1m17s

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 06-22-2018 at 8:03 PM.

Simon, I'll try what you suggested tomorrow. I also want to check with SawStop to get their thoughts. In looking at the various holes that I might plug up, it occurs to me that they might be providing some needed cooling for the motor.

Steve, I'm guessing a very small shop vac would be plenty, if all of its suction was being used for just the blade guard.

Simon, I'll try what you suggested tomorrow. I also want to check with SawStop to get their thoughts. In looking at the various holes that I might plug up, it occurs to me that they might be providing some needed cooling for the motor.
    Good point. Please share what you find out. The motors that have been used with the sealed fronts here are 3hp and 5hp and they have had zero issues whatsoever.

Simon

i have the saw stop with the over arm collector.yes better then nothing .i put a seperate vac on it .still it only has a little hole/opening to suck through .plugs with saw dust . i would think there are better ones .unless perhaps they have made changes on it .

I've had good luck with my SS dust collection. I have a double wye on my 1.5 hp DC. The 4' arm runs to the DC port on the saw and I have a 4nominal x shop vac hose from my old Fein shop vac. I connect the vac hose to the blade guard connection and it does an excellent job, except as noted on edge cuts. Care must be taken to route the small vac hose so it doesn't get in the way. My saw moves around as well and this set up, while not ideal gets the job done.