Thread: Resources for a lidded boxes?

Resources for a lidded boxes?

I came into some really cool wood, but it’s more suited for spindle turning than bowls. 4x4x12”. Very dry. I think it would be good for a couple of boxes. I have the Raffan video on General woodturning. It seems his boxes book is out of print.

I want to practice a bit and have some really good pieces to try out. Besides google and YouTube any books/dvds/videos you recommend?
    Where did I put that?

Craft Supply has some free videos available. Check here: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/Video/244 There are some others also.

Mike Peace and Sam Angelo have some good YouTube videos on end grain box making.

Raffans Box DVD is still available from Amazon.

Look for Chris Stott's book. It is as good as Raffen's on boxes. https://www.amazon.com/Turned-Boxes-...tt+woodturning

On a day to day basis there are for me no better looking boxes than Mike Stafford's boxes. Go here for a very informational pdf by Mike. https://www.woodturningonline.com/as..._Grain_Box.pdf

Excellent! Thank you Bill for sharing and Mike for taking the time to make such a Great visual teaching article.

Thanks for the links!

I like Raffan's book for learning to turn boxes. I just bought a 3rd copy (used) from Amazon to loan to students.
    Chris Stott's book is quite good for design ideas. He has great diagrams and dimensions for each design in the book.

A student here made good progress just this afternoon on a box based on one in Stott's book. This was just her fourth lathe project, her second lidded box.

I also like Mike Stafford's boxes. I sent him a box of wood once and he sent me back some boxes and and ort bowl. I'm sure he would be glad to answer questions.

You can turn lots of "spindle" things from squares that size or smaller. A few things I've made (I have photos if you want to see some for ideas):

From 3x3 or 4x4 squares:
    - lidded boxes, of course
    - ort bowls
    - ring keepers
    - rolling pins
    - small vessels
    - candle holders
    - goblets
    Cut into 1" (or smaller) or larger (1.25, 1.5, 2", etc) squares for smaller things:
    - gavels
    - dibbles
    - nice turning tool handles
    - utensil handles (ice cream scoops, etc)
    - weed pots
    - drop spindles (for spinning wool)
    - small boxes (needle cases, pill boxes)
    - toothpick holders
    - spirit whistles
    - conductor's batons
    - "magic" wands
    - Christmas ornaments
    - finials
    - hair sticks
    - finger tops
    - game calls
    - bottle stoppers

Or do what Frank Penta does: slice the 4x4s up into thin pieces, glue them together in colorful ways, and turn bowls, plates, platters, anything.

JKJ

Personally, I find Pinterest great for getting inspiring images. Create your own board and pin images to it. Here is my board on wood turned boxes. https://www.pinterest.com/mikepeace3...-turned-boxes/ I find this much more useful than Google images.
    God is great and life is good!