Thread: Bench-dog handplanes Rockler clearance

Bench-dog handplanes Rockler clearance

The Rockler store in Garland, Texas has the Bench dog #4 and block planes on the clearance table.
    Box set #4 and block plane $114.99.
    Available individually too.
    I do not know if the other Rockler stores are doing this or not.

There is a link on their website for “new” Bench dog planes but none show up at all when you go to the hand planes link. Interesting...

The manager told me they were replacing them with new models and the stock on hand was discounted to clear it out.
    I am a power tool woodworker, but on occasion I have thought a hand plane would be handy to have around.
    They look decent enough and I figured at 50% off I might as well take the plunge and bought the boxed set.
    Hopefully they don't turn out to be an expensive doorstop and paper weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hinton View Post
    The manager told me they were replacing them with new models and the stock on hand was discounted to clear it out.
    I am a power tool woodworker, but on occasion I have thought a hand plane would be handy to have around.
    They look decent enough and I figured at 50% off I might as well take the plunge and bought the boxed set.
    Hopefully they don't turn out to be an expensive doorstop and paper weight.
    Had a student bring one in to a plane tune up class recently. It looked ok, the usual problems of a discount version of a premium plane: too heavy, blade too thick, machined chipbreaker. That chipbreaker was a pain to fettle- about 1/16" of relief on the underside made it hard to work on the fit. With some care in the setup it'll be a decent user.

I went and picked up the low angle block plane. For $50 I might have just purchased a paperweight but surely it will be a far cry better than the crappy Home Depot block plane I started with! I’ll report back once I’ve had a chance to clean off the cosmoline and work it over.

One caution: make sure the adjustable plate runs parallel to the sole. I saw one example of a Bench Dog block plane where the plate dropped down when the mouth was opened making it impossible to flatten the sole except in one fixed position. Kind of defeats the purpose of an adjustable mouth.