Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Paring/PatternMaker Chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Ken; did the backs and side bevels require much work. From the photos you posted the lands look quite sharp near the cutting edge.
    Stewie,

No, the the chisels are pretty much ready for wood. I still have a hard time believing there was this nice a set of pre WWII chisels available at any price point.

ken

Blog Entries
    I have a paring knife, chisels, razor knifes . . . . all have been used to chop and pare.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Stewie,

No, the the chisels are pretty much ready for wood. I still have a hard time believing there was this nice a set of pre WWII chisels available at any price point.

ken
    Ken; very nice purchase with those paring chisels. I spent today modifying this partial set of firmer chisels to beveled edge with sharp lands for dovetail work. A bit under 2hrs work per chisel which includes the initial grinding on cbn. Honing work starts with the 400g stone and ends at 13000.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 06-24-2018 at 8:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Ken; very nice purchase with those paring chisels. I spent today modifying this partial set of firmer chisels to beveled edge with sharp lands for dovetail work. A bit under 2hrs work per chisel which includes the initial grinding on cbn. Honing work starts on the 400g stone.

Stewie,

I expect those will make wonderful dovetail chisels. I have a set of Ash London Pattern chisels and they are so light you almost forget they are in hand.

Good work,

ken

Many thanks Ken, for sharing your experience with paring chisels. Thanks also to those who added theirs to this thread.

—John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens View Post
    Many thanks Ken, for sharing your experience with paring chisels. Thanks also to those who added theirs to this thread.

—John
    John,

Anytime, I hope it helps,

ken

This is an interesting thread, I have been toying with the idea of getting a couple dedicated pairing chisels. What would be the best current maker to look at. Looks like Sorby and Blue Spruce are the main two current makers.

I do have one Japanese slick that I need to use a bit more, but thought it would be good to get a western variant as well before deciding which system to invest in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    This is an interesting thread, I have been toying with the idea of getting a couple dedicated pairing chisels. What would be the best current maker to look at. Looks like Sorby and Blue Spruce are the main two current makers.

I do have one Japanese slick that I need to use a bit more, but thought it would be good to get a western variant as well before deciding which system to invest in.
    Brandon,

I have the Sorby chisels and they are very good paring chisels. While the Blue Spruce paring chisels are beautiful I have a problem with A2 iron in general for use in chisels and really think it is not the best steel to use in paring chisels for reasons that have been beat to death. As always with woodworking tools, YMMV.

ken