Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Paring/PatternMaker Chisels

Using Paring/PatternMaker Chisels

On an earlier thread I posted that I use paring/pattern maker chisels on almost every joint. A couple of folks asked for a post on the use paring chisels.

One of the most common uses is setting up a first class saw cut of the tenon shoulder. Of all the ways I've tried, a long flexible paring chisel is both the easiest and gives the best result. Here are a couple or three photos of paring the shoulder line (thanks MsBubba for the camera work).

paringChiselA.jpg

The length of the blade helps the accuracy placing the blade and once in the cut it is very easy to control both because of the length and flexibility.

paringChiselB.jpg

At about this point I will usually bring my off hand up near the cutting edge to press down on the blade.

paringChiselC.jpg

Finishing off the cut. It is ready to saw.

After sawing the shoulder I will usually use a wider paring chisel to finish cleaning up the end shoulders of the tenons because of how much control the length and flexibility gives you. These tenons will not have end shoulders to clean up because they are going to be slats. I'll try to remember to make photos when I do have some shoulders to clean up.

Long paring chisels also excel at final clean up of pins and tails.

ken

Ken, Is that one of your new (old) paring chisels? If it is you got some very nice chisels or you've had the spit and polish out already, or that is one you use for photo shoots only
    Jim

Thanks Ken! That is indeed a pairing chisel purpose I hadn't thought of. I usually do this tediously with a wide chisel, perpendicular to the marked line, moving the chisel along the line little by a little. This looks a lot quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Ken, Is that one of your new (old) paring chisels? If it is you got some very nice chisels or you've had the spit and polish out already, or that is one you use for photo shoots only
    Jim
    Jim,

It is my photo shoot only chisel . I used one of the Sorby chisels. I haven't gotten around to sharpening the Marples, work don'tchknow. I finally have a couple of days off this weekend and will get 'em ready to meet wood. BTW, the Marples look near new. it is hard to believe they are pre-WWII. I did do a quick sharpen of the widest Marple chisel a couple of days ago and it was a pleasure both on the stones and on wood. I know by now it shouldn't but the balance and feel, how how light and nimble, these pre-war chisels are amaze me every time I use them. It also begs the question: Why can't modern makers duplicate.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Thanks Ken! That is indeed a pairing chisel purpose I hadn't thought of. I usually do this tediously with a wide chisel, perpendicular to the marked line, moving the chisel along the line little by a little. This looks a lot quicker.
    Kees,

Give it a try. It is quicker and better as the shoulder line bottom is smooth and even. The long blade will register to the shoulder and with the off hand near the cutting edge once in the cut you have very good control. While it can be done on narrow boards with a bench chisel, the paring chisel does it better.

ken

Blog Entries
    I have had a leather chisel roll full of mostly Lie Nielsen chisels for al least 25 years. They are scalpel sharp and ready to use. They will produce translucent shavings.
    I will be using them today.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have had a leather chisel roll full of mostly Lie Nielsen chisels for al least 25 years. They are scalpel sharp and ready to use. They will produce translucent shavings.
    I will be using them today.
    Lowell,

After 25 years of use I'm sure you know them well and are very comfortable using them. It is good to hear you are back in the shop.

ken

Blog Entries
    Though my chisels are sometimes used to make a vee notch, my marking knife also does a fine job of it:

Vee Notching.jpg

For me it works best bevel down.

Note this is a heavier than average marking knife made from an old plane blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Though my chisels are sometimes used to make a vee notch, my marking knife also does a fine job of it:

Vee Notching.jpg

jtk
    Jim,

Shows there are many ways to do the job.

ken

Vee Notching.jpg

jtk
    Interesting marking knife, with the obtuse tip angle. My best yet marking knife is kinda opposite that, acute tip angle, thin blade, slender light handle. Only the last 1/8" or so is sharp. /thread hijack

Blog Entries
    My thin blade marking knife gets used mostly when marking dovetails.

Shop Made Knives.jpg

It was made from a saw blade and has an acute angle where the bevels come together. Mine is beveled over the length of the angle. It is occasionally used for light cutting.

The two knives on the outside are made from the same plane blade.

Shows there are many ways to do the job.
    Almost always is.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Almost always is.

jtk
    Ain't that the truth

ken

One of the reasons I love the creek. My method has always been similar to what Kees mentioned, because that’s all I’ve ever seen on videos, etc. I have some long two cherries that I’ve ground for paring...will definitely give this a try. Thanks Ken for sharing!
    Phil

Ken; did the backs and side bevels require much work. From the photos you posted the lands look quite sharp near the cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    One of the reasons I love the creek. My method has always been similar to what Kees mentioned, because that’s all I’ve ever seen on videos, etc. I have some long two cherries that I’ve ground for paring...will definitely give this a try. Thanks Ken for sharing!
    Phil
    Phil.

I think you will fid it is much quicker and makes for a better shoulder.

ken