Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock gun slide with a Trotec 80 watt laser!

Glock gun slide with a Trotec 80 watt laser!

Hi folks! I'm looking for advice. I have a cusomer coming to see me with 2 Glock pistol slides he would like engravedthumbnail_IMG_0794.jpg This is one of them! I have a trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt, CO2 laser... Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks Jeff from Bellwether Laser LLC! It is a Sig Sauer pistol.
    Last edited by Jeffrey Dewing; 06-22-2018 at 4:33 PM. Reason: I did it wrong...

This is the first time I have asked a question to this forum and not gotten any response! Did I do something wrong?

Nope, nothing wrong, the engraving forums have been dead for days...

As to your engraving that slide with an 80w C02 laser, essentially, it can't be done. It WILL 'mark' the finish, but won't create any impression or remove any metal. Using pearl-white Cermark will etch a semi-white mark onto the metal like normal Cermark (LMM6000, etc) puts a black mark onto stainless. This flag was done with white Cermark...
    DSC03390.jpg

For actual engraving, cutter tools or a fiber laser is needed...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

That is a Sig Sauer.

Just point that out as I love my Sigs.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    I've been off for a bit. But Kev is right. I've done a bit with my 80w CO2, but even just the anodized AR lowers look pretty poor compared to Fiber. And a SIG, don't do it. Send him to someone with a fiber laser.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thank you all for you input! I think I'm going to talk him into lasering the grip!

Since its a Sig you should make a logo like " Sig Perfection"

I mark Glocks on our 35W just fine. My best results come by engraving first a high power, low speed job followed by a high[er] speed "clean up" pass. The second pass seems to always brighten the metal. Good luck.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Do all of you that do work on guns have an FFL, or does the customer stay there while you do the work? No need to really answer....you don't need to incriminate yourselves, but I have been turning away alot of gun work b/c I don't have one. Excluding work on AR's, I don't see that there is enough money to be made that will offset messing up someone gun.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Tull View Post
    Do all of you that do work on guns have an FFL, or does the customer stay there while you do the work? No need to really answer....you don't need to incriminate yourselves, but I have been turning away alot of gun work b/c I don't have one. Excluding work on AR's, I don't see that there is enough money to be made that will offset messing up someone gun.
    My situation has changed now, but I had an FFL and did enough firearm engraving to be quite profitable. You don't want to make any mistakes as it could get costly, but in 4+ years of engraving a fairly large number of firearms I only had 1 mistake on an ar lower - it cost me $89 to replace it so no big deal. It's not that I'm infallible, but on high priced (and irreplaceable) items, I'm so overly careful that short of a machine malfunction mistakes just don't happen.

We have a FFL. Like Gary, you become super careful. I've done a number of guns that were a couple grand each. I did one last week that was $2,000 for the part we engraved. You just get used to it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    We have a FFL. Like Gary, you become super careful. I've done a number of guns that were a couple grand each. I did one last week that was $2,000 for the part we engraved. You just get used to it.
    Without knowing what you engraved, is the time involved to set it up worth it? Did you use a CO2 or fiber? Does your fee go up and down based on the price of the firearm?
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

You can engrave all the slides and barrels-minus-receivers you want without an FFL. This fact courtesy of the ATF agent who served me with a C&D order...

You can also engrave all the 80% AR lowers you want without an FFL:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms controls the sale of AR-15 lower receivers.
    As far as the law is concerned, the lower receiver is the weapon.
    It also recognizes that a lower receiver, only 80-percent finished, is technically not a firearm and thus not subject to regulation.
    That all said, once you get used to engraving firearms, they can easily make you $100+ per hour....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Without knowing what you engraved, is the time involved to set it up worth it? Did you use a CO2 or fiber? Does your fee go up and down based on the price of the firearm?
    There is very little setup time with a galvo fiber laser. It can be quite profitable. We used to do them by appointment only. You make an appointment and we'd do it while you waited to avoid the need for the FFL but that ended up meaning everyone wanted to come on Saturday's when they weren't working, which required me to be here every Saturday, which I was trying to avoid. We got the FFL and now we'll have them drop them off whenever is convenient and we'll engrave them when time permits.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I guess I'll add firearms to the list once I buy a fiber. Thanks to all that responded!
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop