Thread: Adding variable speed to Delta SS200 Shopmaster 16-Inch Bench Top Scroll Saw

Adding variable speed to Delta SS200 Shopmaster 16-Inch Bench Top Scroll Saw

Sorry if/for the/this is an ignorant question. I am sure with hours more of research I could probably figure it out. Who what where and how do I add variable speed to this saw? Is it a simple matter of adding an inline dimmer switch? Sorry if that is a dumb idea or would not work. Let me know It is a single phse motor.. Is it a matter of adding a potentimeter in line after the run capacitor? 1/10 hp 60 hz 1.8a 1750 rps which is running like a banshee.

Is it a matter of using multiple run capacitors? Lower uF rating? the one that is on it right now is a 10uF and was replaced after it died with same thing that as on there I cannot be sure it was original. Now the motor is staying coo and running with hella power.

I have been looking for some reading about how to match a capacitor to a motor. or how to choose a cap that may run the motor at a slower speed but still have power not heat it up too much. I am not sure the 10uF cap is original I am pretty sure though. let me know some thoughts.

After more reading is there a formula for charting motor speed uf rating approx cooling requirement run speed ect or a formula for choosing caps lets say if I did not know what kind of cap came with my motor?

Buy an Excalibur Tom right?

Blog Entries
    Tom, I am not familiar with what type of motor your saw has. Typically a motor that has brushes is easy to control the speed with a dimmer or better still a router speed control. Other types, not so much.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

So no, it is an AC induction motor 1 phase motor. It had a bad capicitor and I changed it with oem spec cap. Howver it still runs way to darn fast. Where and how do I match the uF rating with the motor and I can probably y=mx plus B chart that scale and use a uF rating that still is close to optimal performance but slower speed.