Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Glide owners - needs belp

Bosch Glide owners - needs belp

I’m helping someone with their shop setup. I’m having cabinets made with butcher block tops at the miter station area and would Ike to recess the Bosch 12” Glide. Planning for the cutout is tough though.

I measured the depth of the saw at 3.83” tall and I’d have the cutout at smidge more than that and shim the saw up as necessary.

For the awkward other measurements - Any suggestions on the approach? The width needed to miter is about 34”, so I suppose I’d have the cabinet maker make one cabinet that wide and make it shorter than the others?

How did you do your miter station?

Thanks

My miter saws sit on top of the cabinets. I then built up the infeed/outfeed table areas on either side using 3/4" "risers" and a 3/4" top. Then I built drawers to fit in the little cubbys between risers. I've also found I prefer that the infeed/outfeed tables not crowd the miter saw. A little space, 6"-8", makes it easier (for my old, arthritic hands) to grab a board. If you run your infeed/outfeed tables right up to the saw base they either need to step back or angle back to allow the saw to swing fully (and don't forget your hands need to fit in there too).

Thanks but ideally I’d like to recess the saw and not build risers, hence the post.

I think I'd mock up your concept and try it out. Make adjustments until you and your friend are satisfied with the result. Since it's easier to make temporary risers than a temporary recess, I'd make risers and experiment with it all on a work surface.
    Chuck Taylor

I own a 12" Bosch glider and I would not recess. Its a behemoth space wise, a better strategy would be to build a shelf below the bench for its storage and only bring it out when needed. This frees up a sizeable bench for other work when the glider is not in use. Rather than build up risers which I considered doing I use the stands below available from Lowes. Just way easier and when I'm chopping long boards, long boards are rarely straight anyway so I can adjust these stands as needed.

As for butcher block maple tops I have owned several, it doesn't matter how much money you spend even prefinished are cupped. If you plan to use the bench for layout and glue ups and need it to be flat avoid maple butcher block. Its fine for the glider and general workbench use just understand it won't be flat.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Triton-Tool...and/1000281311

The future imo are these BuildPro benches. These are precision CNC drilled and ground FLAT to within .002 over 12 inches. I have put my 24 inch Starrett rule across these and they are pretty much dead nuts flat. They will never warp, cup, or twist. There's about 1,000 fixturing clamps and gadgets and they will handle 3D setups. The nitride finish is impervious to glue and epoxy it scrapes right off with a putty knife. Even MIG splatter putty knifes off. After I move next spring I'll replace my workbenches with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    I own a 12" Bosch glider and I would not recess. Its a behemoth space wise, a better strategy would be to build a shelf below the bench for its storage and only bring it out when needed. This frees up a sizeable bench for other work when the glider is not in use. Rather than build up risers which I considered doing I use the stands below available from Lowes. Just way easier and when I'm chopping long boards, long boards are rarely straight anyway so I can adjust these stands as needed.

As for butcher block maple tops I have owned several, it doesn't matter how much money you spend even prefinished are cupped. If you plan to use the bench for layout and glue ups and need it to be flat avoid maple butcher block. Its fine for the glider and general workbench use just understand it won't be flat.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Triton-Tool...and/1000281311

The future imo are these BuildPro benches. These are precision CNC drilled and ground FLAT to within .002 over 12 inches. I have put my 24 inch Starrett rule across these and they are pretty much dead nuts flat. They will never warp, cup, or twist. There's about 1,000 fixturing clamps and gadgets and they will handle 3D setups. The nitride finish is impervious to glue and epoxy it scrapes right off with a putty knife. Even MIG splatter putty knifes off. After I move next spring I'll replace my workbenches with these.

WOW! What do those run?! And arent those technically welding tables?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    WOW! What do those run?! And arent those technically welding tables?
    They are indeed welding tables, I have owned a couple for TIG welding and ended up using them for wood working, carbon fiber tubing glue ups, its awesome having a dead nuts flat bench. Also see those table slats, not only are they 5/8 inch thick steel you can unscrew them from the black steel base and extend them left/right up to about half their length for odd shaped work. Because that pattern of holes is precision CNC drilled there's no guessing about square, your layups will be square and true. These tables are not cheap though and the fixturing clamps and bits are even more expensive.

My Bosch Glide is set into the centre of the bench so the table is flat with the two wings. The fences that sit on the benches are Incra 52" with flip stops and they have pins attached to the fence which registers with holes in the bench top surface. Doing this allows the fences to be removed from the bench for work space and then replaced with no zero to the blade issues. The saw itself sits on a platform which can be precisely moved back and forth to align the saw fence with the Incra fences by using a piece of threaded rod that is attached to the sliding platform. I use sub fences on the saw so if I want to change a sub fence or remove it altogether to align it again with the Incras I just screw the threaded rod and the saw moves back and forth as needed. The platform sits on HDPE slides which in turn run in T Track slides. The Glide is one heavy saw, perhaps the heaviest I have ever tried to pick up and that is why I made the sliding platform.

The back of the saw from the fence back is in a half circle dust shroud with the inlet at the bottom into a plenum chamber and the dust exhaust at the top driven by a Clearvue through a 6" duct. The Glide has to be the world's worst dust creator but this shroud captures if not all of the dust abut 99% of it.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 06-24-2018 at 9:35 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Chris, that sounds pretty awesome. Could you post a few pictures?
    Thanks

Sliding Base

Sliding Base.JPG

Complete Bench
    Showing Incra Fences.JPG

Saw siting on Sliding Base
    Saw Sitting on Sliding Base.JPG

Saw Installed
    Glide Saw Installed.jpg

Blast Gate and DE Exit at the Top
    Blast Gate Installed in Top Plenum.JPG

After 8 Cuts Of 1" MDF
    After 8 Cuts of MDF.JPG
    Chris

These are the dust hood during construction. The curved wall is 3mm MDF which I formed by wetting the MDF and setting the shape. When I released the MDF it stayed perfectly in shape. One thing I did not anticipate was that the saw cannot be rolled very far to do compound cuts but I don't do those more than twice in a lifetime so that is not a concern for me. I have thought about hinging the short bits of the shroud to allow for it and I might do it one day...maybe. The air entry to any shroud has to be 2.5 times the exhaust area for it to be effective.

Air entry at the bottom
    Air Entry at Bottom of Hood.JPG

A shot of the plenum with saw
    IMG_1595 Plenum Shown.jpg

Plenum Overhead
    IMG_1596 Plenum Overhead.jpg

Top View of Plenum

Top View.jpg

Another top view
    Top View of Hood.jpg
    Chris

Very well designed Chris, I will take a few parts of your design if you don’t mind.

In the picture I attached, it looks like when you rotate the table for a miter cut that it would hit your bench before getting to the stops. Does that happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No Matt, it will do a full 45 degree mitre but won't roll to any great extent. If I was to get really unhappy with it I would hinge the end of the wings so they could move out of the way but I can't be bothered. To use a design like this you need a very capable extractor to lift the debris through the plenum. Feel free to copy it and if you have any questions PM me as I don't subscribe to threads any longer.
    Chris

What do, thanks again.

Matt
    Didn't follow every post in the thread. Attached a photo of my setup. Is this something like what you want to do? If so, I can probably provide additional details.

IMG_0108.jpg