Thread: Making Wooden Boat Blocks

Making Wooden Boat Blocks

In keeping with the old boat house look, I thought I'd take a stab at making a boom vang with wood blocks. The wood is sipo.

I cut the wheels using a 4" hole saw then took it to the router table to put in the 3/4" groove

For the spacers, I also routed a 3/4" groove through them

For the two blocks, one will be a double the other a triple. The ends are thicker then the spacers in between

This is how it will be assembled

I made up full size plans to follow for rounding the ends on the bandsaw and cleaned it up with a sander

Next is to run a groove around the outside to accommodate a strop with an eye.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

After making the strop, I used the table vise to squeeze the 3/4" rope as I pulled it tight around the bottom and serve 1/4" line around the loop until it was snug.

Next is to do the same with the double block

Stretched out the line to see what overall length I'd have for the boom vang

Trying to get the strop, made from the same length rope as the one on the triple, to cooperate was quite a struggle. I knew I should have cut a new length but that meant lopping off another 10'-11' just to get one winding to make the rope grommet (strop). So I decided to see if I could make it work. About half way through seizing...

Not a pretty picture. (The bowline will be replaced with an eye splice.)

I'll probably need to buy some more rope and make a proper sized strop.

Very nice Julie, thanks for sharing.

I have thought about this project many times just never seemed to get one done.

Certainly better looking than Lewmars. Good on!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Thank you Keith and Jim.

Great work on your blocks, very impressed!!! I am also working on making up a set of rope blocks, inspired from my recent volunteer work at an historical shipyard.

Question for you, what type of splice did you use on the blocks? Did you use a short splice or a grommet type splice? Or?

The one historical block I have access to are blocks about 12 inch in size and what appears to be a grommet splice with the rope ends located at the bottom of the block.

This is a very interesting project with a lot to learn!!!

Thanks for your inspiration!!

Hi Kreig,

I used a grommet splice. It was pretty easy. The hard part was getting the measurement right. On one I got it perfect. The other was a bit short but I managed to make it work.

The pictures are not showing up!
    -Howard

That's very nice work Julie!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thank you, guys. If anyone is interested, I got my inspiration from Traditional Maritime Skills. If you do a web search for "making wooden boat blocks", look for the one says "Traditional Maritime Skills :: Making Blocks" on the website boat-building.org. There's a video showing Dutch craftsmen at work in a shop dedicated to old boat refitting. You can hear the craftsmen tapping away in the background. Pretty cool...