Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly's prices on some machines going up 25%

Hopefully it will go to reduce the considerable US debt. More likely it will go toward some new important expenditure.

Bert, Per the thread started this past week-end, the tariff effective July 6 covers 800+ HTS codes. Besides woodworking it targets my world of plastics. Machinery such as injection, blow molding, extrusion, replacement parts for plastics machinery, plastic molds, mold bases for plastics molds, spare parts for plastic molds.........isopopes, aircraft tires, nuclear reactors and parts for nuclear reactors, many types of boilers, steam turbine for marine use, generators, aircraft turbo jets, concrete pumps, other pumps, refrigeration pumps,..........and on, and on.

Now also the USTR has published a preliminary list of 284 HTS codes to be considered for public discussion, and hearings toward a mid-September date for 25% tariff. This list includes all plastic resins, and virtually all types of fabrics, sheets, films etc.

Very troubling for business and eventually consumers over an issue about IP protection that is going to be settled by the WTO anyway.

Alex,

We shipped a container Monday that was ordered in mid April. It was laden on board Monday, and the vessel departed Tuesday the 19th. The vessel has an ETA Seattle of July 6. The effective date is "arrival at a US port of entry", but we don't know yet if that is when the vessel arrives in port, or when the containers are actually off the ship and on the ground.

Rich

Guys, try to keep on topic per Shiraz’s request. As far as where the tax money will go, figure that out in the other thread.

Thanks for the post Shiraz.

So how are you collecting the extra once the item before I get my back ordered item. I have already submitted my payment

Every time I bought something from grizzly and on back order not charged me till item shipped.

Wonder what this does to the used market.

I've bought several different machines from you Shiraz and I've been pleased with the quality. I'm even more pleased with the upfront communication of a really tough business decision forced by an outside party - the US government.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Wonder what this does to the used market.
    I'd say it makes the used market look pretty attractive for the buyer, and maybe a bit better for the seller too.

Shiraz, any thoughts about moving production of the machines out of mainland China to other countries unaffected by the tariffs, such as Taiwan?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    Shiraz, any thoughts about moving production of the machines out of mainland China to other countries unaffected by the tariffs, such as Taiwan?
    I don't know, but I don't think he owns the companies that manufactures the machines that he sells. They are likely a subcontractor that make similar machines for other companies as well.

But I don't see why Taiwan manufacturers wouldn't seriously think about ramping up production lines to take advantage of this situation.

Blog Entries
    Moving that sort of operation is not as incidental as the stroke of a pen that could bring the new location under the same situation. If there were guarantees of some of these things in business, the business owners would sleep better at night ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very troubling for business and eventually consumers over an issue about IP protection that is going to be settled by the WTO anyway.
    WTO?

Does WTO still matter when national security can be used as the legitimate reason to impose tariffs indiscriminately?

Good luck with that!

Simon
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-27-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

14. I ordered a Grizzly jointer in November 2017. I have been kicked down the road by Grizzly CSR FIVE times, and the latest kick says that I should not expect to receive a shipment before December 2018. I have been very patient with Grizzly, but these delays are incredible - and being told I will have to pay an additional 25% for the jointer after waiting over a year for Grizzly to get its act together just doesn't sit very well with me. Is there anything you can do to fix this?

There is no standard non custom woodworking machine on the planet worth waiting a year for. Why do that? Buy a different machine, a different brand, a used machine, etc. Lots of better choices than waiting. Dave