Thread: Router bit recommendation

Router bit recommendation

Would appreciate recommendation on where to purchase economical but functional set of 1/4" and 1/2" shank carbide router bits

What work do you want to do?

Also, Bob, check the sales threads. Brian Gumpper has some single flute Whiteside flush trim 1/2" shank bits for $5 each that are an amazing buy. $3 shipping for for $13 that would be a great purchase even if they sit for a bit for you until you figure out you need them.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    A general school of thought is that sets only result in a few bits that you use a lot and several that just never get used. I subscribe to this and buy them as I need them. I know it is tempting to buy one of the sets where bits are only a few bucks apiece but, you are better served by spending that whole amount on the "work horse" 4 or 5 bits that find many uses. Google "must have router bits" and you will find many opinions.

Roundover - the radius that will suit you best depends on what you mostly do; 1/8" or 3/16" get the nost use in my shop.
    Flush trim - While a rabbet set may include a bearing that will cut flush, a smaller diameter is desirable for tight curves. 1/2" with a 1" cutting length is very common.
    Straight bit - Used for cutting dados this bit can do rabbets as well.
    Rabbet bit - This can be a set cut or adjustable via multiple bearings.
    Cove bit - Can be used in combination with other bits to make molding profiles.

I remember years ago standing in front of the router bit case at a store for quite a while trying to decide. The store manager took pity on me and told me "Take it easy, it won't be the last bit you buy". He was so right. Buy what you need now and add as you go. Whiteside bits from Holbren or Hartville are often a best bet. Whiteside since they perform so well and are sharpened so cheap, Holbren since Brian's customer service is top notch. Hartville since they have sales and free shipping.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-22-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What Glenn said. Whiteside is my preferred brand, never met one of their bits I didn't like. Here's a set that is a great place to start, and includes bits that you're likely to use a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Rou...router+bit+set

They're all 1/2" shank, which is good unless you just need bits for a small trim router.