Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remove Sharpie ink from wood?

Too bad you couldn't get some Halothane. It works quite nicely for removing sharpie.

Halothane? I've never heard of it so I did a search. Supposedly it's a drug for "general anesthetic" $52 for 250ml. How did you come about discovering its excellent sharpie removal attributes?

I've never heard about that either, maybe a diff spelling?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halothane
    WoodsShop

Oh, you're making me feel old. I actually have a decommissioned Halothane vaporizer that's a table lamp in the house. And I've used it on many patients back in the day, being an anesthesiologist. I've never heard of it being used to remove sharpie. Fascinating.

I wouldn't play around with it. We stopped using it because of Halothane hepatitis, a rare, but often fatal complication. I've seen someone come incredibly close to dying and needing a liver transplant when it was used on them. I wonder if the newer volatile anesthetics work for this, but not going to bring any home to try. Kids, don't try this at home. I'm a trained professional.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Oh, you're making me feel old. I actually have a decommissioned Halothane vaporizer that's a table lamp in the house. And I've used it on many patients back in the day, being an anesthesiologist. I've never heard of it being used to remove sharpie. Fascinating.

I wouldn't play around with it. We stopped using it because of Halothane hepatitis, a rare, but often fatal complication. I've seen someone come incredibly close to dying and needing a liver transplant when it was used on them. I wonder if the newer volatile anesthetics work for this, but not going to bring any home to try. Kids, don't try this at home. I'm a trained professional.
    I agree with you Alan. It was sort of a tongue in cheek thing because I know most people aren't going to have access to it anyway. It does a great job of removing permanent marker as well as paint. (Makes you wonder about breathing the stuff.) We had a few bottles of it in our chemical cabinet at work even though it's no longer in use clinically. Always handled it and other anesthetic agents in well-ventilated areas and with nitrile gloves.

We made a few lamps from old vaprorizers for some of the Ologists over the years. It was kind of a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    We made a few lamps from old vaprorizers for some of the Ologists over the years. It was kind of a fun project.
    I may ask you for hints on that, some day. I have another, more modern, Forane vaporizer that I’d love to make into a lamp. Never got around to it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

I may ask you for hints on that, some day. I have another, more modern, Forane vaporizer that I’d love to make into a lamp. Never got around to it.
    What model is it?

Have to look. I'll let you know. It's in a box somewhere.

You sure you don't use the Halothane, pass out, someone sands off the sharpie behind your back, and you think it works?

You sure you don't use the Halothane, pass out, someone sands off the sharpie behind your back, and you think it works?
    LOL! No. I can assure you that although I've worked on many anesthesia machines, I've never once had an opportunity to be on the receiving end of one.

mineral spirits.

I used to use sharpie to mark my work with name, date etc. I also use Tru oil to finish the pieces over the sharpie. The oil finish would wash the sharpie away as I applied the finish. Now, I top coat the sharpie with water based poly (just that spot) and when dry, top coat with my oil finish and that seems to keep the writing fresh.

Mineral spirits or acetone will take the sharpie up just by wiping. Probably Denatured Alcohol also.

Brake Parts Cleaner works great.