Thread: Angel ornaments

Angel ornaments

I'm doing a demo for our Crossville club next wednesday on making these Angel Christmas tree ornaments. I decided to play some more with the JoSanjo paints and found a really novel way to make it stand out. The paints show up better over black that over wood color so on the one on the left I mask off the piece, cut out the zig zag and then spray it black. then apply the JoSanjo Irridescent paints.
    I thought I would try using my wood burner to darken patches and see how it looks. I tried some squares with shaders and some with tiny dots. The tiny dots leave a look like beads after you put the irridescent paints on. So I thought on of my ornaments would be decorated like Indian beadwork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh my, upping the bar. Outstanding - can't wait to see them.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    I'm doing a demo for our Crossville club next wednesday on making these Angel Christmas tree ornaments. I decided to play some more with the JoSanjo paints and found a really novel way to make it stand out. The paints show up better over black that over wood color so on the one on the left I mask off the piece, cut out the zig zag and then spray it black. then apply the JoSanjo Irridescent paints.
    I thought I would try using my wood burner to darken patches and see how it looks. I tried some squares with shaders and some with tiny dots. The tiny dots leave a look like beads after you put the irridescent paints on. So I thought on of my ornaments would be decorated like Indian beadwork.

Nice. I'm still waiting on my lathe to show up but one thing I'm really excited about is making ornaments. My wife is into tatting which seams to go hand in hand with ornaments. Until now I hadn't thought about making an angel. The paint really makes them stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Nice. I'm still waiting on my lathe to show up but one thing I'm really excited about is making ornaments. My wife is into tatting which seams to go hand in hand with ornaments. Until now I hadn't thought about making an angel. The paint really makes them stand out.
    If you want to see an incredible variety for inspiration, send me an email or PM and I'll give you a link to a gallery on another turning forum with 100s.

JKJ