Thread: First "real" HDU Sign

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First "real" HDU Sign

As I progress through my CNC learning curve, I try to increase complexity for obvious reasons...that's what learning is about. I've cut a few small house number signs out of HDU, but this is the first 'real' sign design I cut. Its purpose, aside from the learning, is to take its place as a marketing sample as I get prepared to seek out real customers.

One of the things I wanted to add to the mix was a textured background. My first ideas looked ok, but certainly were not efficient from a machining perspective. Way to complicated. So I had this short phone conversation with "the master", Rodger MacMunn the other evening and received his sage wisdom and honestly, really simple methodology for cutting the background and the content with two simple pocket tool paths and a single ball nose bit. The result was spot on what I wanted and I surely intend to use this method when it's what's needed. Oh, and there was also this little 3D carved detail in the middle, also a first.

I'm pleased and look forward to doing a lot more of this kind of thing going forward.

IMG_1298.jpg IMG_1299.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-20-2018 at 9:48 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...