Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Landscaping question

Quick Landscaping question

Is it too late to put weed and feed or something similar that I can use a spreader to put on the lawn? What do you recommend for a large amount of dandelions in the yard?

No, its not too late. Apply it with a spreader in the morning while the dew is still in the grass.

Thanks Pat. Now I just need to estimate the size of the yard. When I cut it today, using my pedometer it said I walked 1.62 miles.

Hi Brian
    i use Google Earth and the measuring tool for that very purpose. My calculations held out to +\- half a bag of weed&feed.
    I have about 3acres of turf. I see you're in NJ....I use Lebanon Seaboard products and have been very happy with the results. I don't believe you can get their products at the big box stores...try professional turf care distributors. Regards, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William Batdorf View Post
    Hi Brian
    i use Google Earth and the measuring tool for that very purpose. My calculations held out to +\- half a bag of weed&feed.
    I have about 3acres of turf. I see you're in NJ....I use Lebanon Seaboard products and have been very happy with the results. I don't believe you can get their products at the big box stores...try professional turf care distributors. Regards, Bill
    Bill. Thanks for the recommendation. I will try using google earth to measure. I could walk the property and get a rough area calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Is it too late to put weed and feed or something similar that I can use a spreader to put on the lawn? What do you recommend for a large amount of dandelions in the yard?
    I recommend you leave the dandelions for the honeybees It's an important food source.

That said, you can help control things more relative to weeds in a lawn by keeping the lawn longer and lusher. Weeds tend to take advantage of poorer conditions and a nice thick and longer lawn really helps with this. I realize this isn't an answer to your actual question, but it may help you going forward.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-20-2018 at 9:15 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like a sprayer with weed be gone. You only do the weeds instead of dumping poison everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I recommend you leave the dandelions for the honeybees It's an important food source.

That said, you can help control things more relative to weeds in a lawn by keeping the lawn longer and lusher. Weeds tend to take advantage of poorer conditions and a nice thick and longer lawn really helps with this. I realize this isn't an answer to your actual question, but it may help you going forward.
    Jim

i agree with keeping the lawn longer and lusher, but right now the weeds are just to prevalent and need to take care of them. A couple years ago (3-4) the lawn had very little weeds, then it was an extremely hot summer and dried it out and the weeds began to take over in the years since. We don't have in ground sprinklers and I am sure that is part of the issue, but will have to continue relying on Mother Nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I like a sprayer with weed be gone. You only do the weeds instead of dumping poison everywhere.
    Wade, unfortunately I don't think this is realistic due to size of yard and current weed situation.

The "feed" part would be wasted at this time of year (despite what the commercials and providers say). But yes to the "weed" part. I prefer the liquid weed'b'gone stuff, on a hose end sprayer if its a large area. Much more efficient and cost effective. Or you can spread granular weed killer alone if you prefer.

I live in NJ and it is too late to weed and feed unless you have a sprinkler because the days are getting hot and the grass is starting to go dormant. You should not have dandelions this time of the year. Adding fertilizer to a lawn now will stress it.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    I live in NJ and it is too late to weed and feed unless you have a sprinkler because the days are getting hot and the grass is starting to go dormant. You should not have dandelions this time of the year. Adding fertilizer to a lawn now will stress it.
    John since you live in NJ as well this is good info, so would you recommend doing a weed and feed in the fall or next spring? Also I don't get why you shouldn't have dandelions at this time of year. If grass is starting to go dormant now, that means it is still growing up to this point. I don't like doing landscaping so I'm not well versed in this subject except for basic mowing and similar.

Just a suggestion....I would try a number of things that I do with my 2 acre yard. I use a weed and feed in the spring and then spot spray with weed be gone. There are some area that I use Round Up to keep clean. I also try to keep the areas visible from the street looking better than the back half of the yard.

The other thing is to reseed or overseed the yard in the fall. Different grasses grow better in different times of year. Up north, blue grass grows great in the spring and fall but not when it gets too warm. The rescue type grasses and rye grows better in hot months. You need to keep a balance of these in your yard. Of course, this does not apply to the southern states where it is hot much more of the year.

Many moons ago I applied a weed and feed to my much smaller lawn with a broadcast spreader. There wasn't much wind in the morning but there must have been enough for me to wipe out a flower bed. After that I stuck to sprays with my admittedly much smaller yard.

Whatever you do, be careful.

-Tom

I think I'm going to hold off until the fall with doing anything and then repeat next spring. Thanks to everyone that chimed in with advise.