Thread: Common Drawer Finish

Common Drawer Finish

I just finished 20 drawers and 6 pullouts for a project. As I was doing that I was thinking my finish routine could not be in line with what others are doing because it takes too long. That got me thinking to pose the question here. This project used cherry for the drawer parts. My finish was to sand to 120 - 180, sanding sealer, scuff sand, and then two coats of enduro clear. I do have a hood in my spray booth with a 16" fan, but it is not explosion proof so I do not spray anything but water based. I have asked my finish supplier about the GF eduro conversion varnish a few times and he has consistently advised against that in a home shop setup due to the off gassing. I am curious what others use a finish plan for items that are not really exposed, but need a finish for durability. Also, how much time for an average drawer would you allow for a finishing (sanding, spray...)?

Thanks

Shellac is the traditional drawer interior finish.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I use shellac primarily for this, but also use a regular water borne product like Target EM6000 for drawers, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I spray drawers with a coat of Sealcoat shellac and then two coats of Enduro Clear Poly, EnduroVar, or a couple of other WB finishes I use, whatever I have any extra of or old stock at the time. Shellac alone may be traditional and fine for dressers, etc., but it's not durable enough for kitchen or bathroom drawers, IMO. You could use the WB alone, but that often raises the grain and requires extra sanding and sometimes an extra coat of finish, so that's why I use the Sealcoat followed by WB.

John

Thanks guys. It seems I am generally doing what others are doing. It seemed quite time consuming, but that is probably because I had to do it in batches. I will need to enlarge my booth if I do this again.

I remember that Chris Schwarz go me using a blend of turpentine and beeswax on interior cabinet parts. I mix my own wax blends using "real" gum turpentine (not the big box store junk), and can testify that it smells wonderful on the insides of drawers. It gives the wood a very tactile, smooth feel that is amazing. It is easy to make yourself, too!
    Last edited by Ted Phillips; 06-25-2018 at 9:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    I use Deft Clear wood finish with 2-3 coats inside and out. I let it dry for at least a week before use. Even though there is some residual odor, I've never noticed that it affects anything stored in the drawer.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I generally use any WB sealer. I like Polyacrylic for kitchens. I don't use shellac because not waterproof..

I don't use anything on furniture drawers but maybe a light coat of wax.