Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop floor load question

You all have been very helpful. I decided to wait on the insulation as I will be doing that myself and its something that I won't be doing until the shop is complete. The encapsulated fiberglass insulation is twice the R value of rigid 2" boards and within my budget, at least for the walls. For the ceiling I may go with what I put in my current small shop which is denim insulation. All this could change by the time my shop is completed, I have a few months before finalizing what to go with.

I talked with the builder today, I decided to go with five windows instead of six to eight to keep cost down and because I'm not sure yet if I need the other windows. The builder will rough in for the windows at no cost so if I decide later that I want them it will be easy to do.

Insulation is over rated!

Jim is right on (as usual) about the styrene baffles. Install them and 3 1/2" batts in the ceiling. Install something in the walls. It will be fine. Then spend your money and effort on the more important parts of the heating load.

I have run a number of load calculations on a variety of buildings. Priorities are almost always;

1. air infiltration
    2. window and door transmission
    3. ceiling transmission
    4. wall transmission

Typically windows get framed an inch oversize, the windows installed, siding and drywall and trim. The insulator is supposed to stuff the gap around the windows loosely with fiberglass. If he stuffs it too tight the windows jam. often this is just skipped and you get a lot of leakage. Doors, same.

Fireplaces and sliding glass doors and terrible energy hogs. If you install a vehicle door, get a good one.

Congratulations on the new shop.

I would use 3/4" advantec sheeting. The stuff is strong and dense. For the small extra charge you could go 12" on center but I doubt you'll notice a difference. My 2nd floor in my garage is 2x10" 16" on center that span 16' to an I-beam that runs down the center of the garage (it's 32 x 36). I have all sorts of heavy stuff up there with no bounce at all. When I was building my house I was worried that particle board flooring wouldn't be as good as plywood but the lumber store talked me into it. I'm sold on the stuff now. It's denser, stronger, and it's pretty much waterproof.