Thread: Veneer over wood filler?

Veneer over wood filler?

I’d like to fill some small defects in baltic birch prior to veneer. Is there any problem with using Timber Mate and cold press glue? Should I seal it first with something, then veneer? A couple defects are about an 1/8” or so.
    Thanks!

The Timbermate web site says that dried Timbermate is resoluable in water. So it might not be the best filler to use under water-based glue.

I use auto body filler for almost all filling needs that will be painted or hidden is some fashion. Sets fast, sands great, very stable. The only issue is the difficulty in mixing just a little bit. Hard not to get too much hardener in small batches. Then is set really quick. I've finally started just dipping a small piece of wire in the hardener and putting the drop on the end in the mix.

I have used TimberMate under veneer with water based glue and not had any problems. That said, I typically use Bondo for large defects and exterior wood filler for smaller defects. Elmer's wood filler works well; it's waterbased until it dries.

John

Maybe try mixing some sawdust, or Timbermate, with Titebond III glue. Once that dries, it would be water resistant but still adhere to your cold press glue?

If the defects are small, I wouldn't worry about it, just use the Timbermate as is.

Whatever you use, be sure it's completely cured or dried before veneering. Often, fill material will continue to cure and shrink well after appearing dry.

Thanks all! It’s for a small box for my daughter.. going to try just the Timber Mate since that’s what I have on hand. If it all delaminates some day, I guess she knows where to find me. Need to probably pick up some bonding for the future.

I like to use 5 min epoxy for small filling jobs like that. Sometimes I will mix in a little sawdust if it will be exposed but for veneer, it's not needed.