Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: U.S. to collect 25% tariffs on Chinese woodworking equipment starting July 6

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Do you know for sure that the steel quality is identical? I keep hearing rumors that Chinese steel is mostly polluted and impure. Sounds like BS to push the anti-China agenda, but don't know.
    Carlos, Of course there is steel for boat anchors and steel for high performance applications. I cannot speak for the low end in China or anywhere else, but the steel for high speed shafts is produced primarily in Germany, and is delivered with a lot certification. The certification includes detail on the additive levels like nickel and chromium as well as physical properties such as hardness before and after heat treating. It is also possible to analyze steel after the fact to confirm what it is.

Of course it would be possible for some one to fake the certification, but that has not been my experience. We have worked for years with a number of suppliers there, and they have more to gain by being honest.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    Carlos, Of course there is steel for boat anchors and steel for high performance applications. I cannot speak for the low end in China or anywhere else, but the steel for high speed shafts is produced primarily in Germany, and is delivered with a lot certification. The certification includes detail on the additive levels like nickel and chromium as well as physical properties such as hardness before and after heat treating. It is also possible to analyze steel after the fact to confirm what it is.

Of course it would be possible for some one to fake the certification, but that has not been my experience. We have worked for years with a number of suppliers there, and they have more to gain by being honest.

Rich
    Thanks. I've heard so many unsubstantiated politically-motivated opinions on this.

So far this is been a very informative thread! I would hate to see it just deleted by mods! It’s had a lot of good opinions, How people are going to adjust, thoughts on the new tariffs, how this may be beneficial or unbeneficial to the US and the rest of the world and how the regular Joe (that is in the trades person and hobbyist) deals with this.

Yes it has stemmed from political situations, but, I would prefer not to gossip about, like, dislike and/or bash political figure heads.

If this thread is still alive in a year/s from now, you could show how people have adjusted! Benefited, hurt or otherwise.

Right on, Matt.

Thank you Matt. I can tell from disappearing replies that cross the line that Mods are monitoring this thread and not just locking it. Thank you Mods.

I started it as a heads up to the guys that use Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly, etc. tools in their shops.

I never imagined that it would become a treatise on economics but it has been interesting!

Well said, Matt.

Things starting to begin more interesting as different countries resort to different strategies in the trade wars. China has just announced a new measure not widely mentioned before: Slashing tariffs on imports from five Asian countries to help replace imports from the US that will become more expensive.

This time South Korea benefits from the new reductions which previously was a target for retaliation when she allowed the US THAAD installation. Last time, even South Korean/Chinese joint ventures were hit, showing the Chinese regime doesn't care about collateral damages that may affect her own business interests when a larger goal is at stake.

If the allies were not caught in the crossfire, America could have considered the same tactic.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 06-28-2018 at 1:36 PM.

Its always the people in the board rooms and banks that make out best with current administration policies. Everyone else is being taken for a bumpy ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Regan View Post
    Its always the people in the board rooms and banks that make out best with current administration policies. Everyone else is being taken for a bumpy ride.
    Doesn't matter what happens, the smart people make money no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    I don't believe tariffs are going to have the least effect on China. If we have an IP problem sit down at the WTO and settle it. If we have a trade imbalance, work to improve US industry. Please, no more tariffs. Rich
    I think the gvt realizes this, and know folks will still find the Chinese products cheaper and pay the tariffs. This is a way to gather tax money (which is really what tariffs are!) Without raising taxes in the classical way.