Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. to collect 25% tariffs on Chinese woodworking equipment starting July 6

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Aluminum extrusions and parts are on almost every piece of machinery that I own.
    Sure, but a very small part in both volume/ weight or product cost. Pick your highest Aluminum content (china COO) machine and do a parts-cost breakdown and tell us what you arrive at. I think it will be instructive.

We'll see what happens when Boeing is cut out of the Chinese market.

But we all know that trade wars are easy to win, so Me? No worry.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    The Toyota Tundra and Tacoma are built here in San Antonio. The body parts are stamped here, V8s made in Alabama and the frames are from Mexico. The body and drive train seem to me to be a significant portion of the truck.
    Decades ago, in the 80's I believe, the US had a tariff on imported trucks. It was called the Chicken tax. To get around it Toyota would build the bed in the US. If you've ever seen an older Toyota pickup where the paint on the cab is fine but the bed was faded badly it was because of the different types of paint used. Japan didn't have the EPA laws we had in the US and used paint that held up better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

The President has said the trade war is easy to win. No one has asked...at what cost? I am not talking about just the economic cost.

There is a price to be paid, not all of which is known at this time. Not everything, such as global order or relationships can be measured in dollar terms.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    This will trigger inflation and the long overdue stock market correction.
    Yeah, to heck with anyone retired living off a 401k, they scrimped and saved all their lives for it, those people are animals not deserving of our sympathy. (I'm being sarcastic here.)

We're not allowed to talk about the elephant in the room.

I sure hope this stays politics nutral because smc one of the few places can come and not deal with the exstream wacks.

Just for the record, my request to avoid politics was intended to keep this thread from being locked or deleted. A lot of woodworkers use machine tools imported from China. This thread was intended as a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Decades ago, in the 80's I believe, the US had a tariff on imported trucks. It was called the Chicken tax. To get around it Toyota would build the bed in the US. If you've ever seen an older Toyota pickup where the paint on the cab is fine but the bed was faded badly it was because of the different types of paint used. Japan didn't have the EPA laws we had in the US and used paint that held up better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
    Still going on as of a few years ago, different vehicle, same tax. One of Fords little mini van/trucks was built in Turkey, shipped to the US as a passenger vehicle. At the port, workers stripped the extra seats and interior trim to make work vans/trucks.

And, yes I remember the multicolored pickups, Mazda and the Ford version on the Mazda was the worst. Especially with yellow and reds, the Japanese paint was much different from the US paint after a couple of years.
    Last edited by Ken Combs; 06-20-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Cool, start a "trade war" with the largest buyer of US Federal Bonds. This should go swimmingly!

Perhaps the gentleman from Grizzly will weigh in on this topic. No effect on prices? Price increases? When? Will current stock be increased in price? If prices are raised because of the tariffs, will they be reduced after the tariffs are lifted? Any insight will be appreciated.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Tariffs have never proven good in the long term; this time will be no different and probably worse in many ways beyond $'s and c's. As far as woodworking machinery goes, the companies selling machines made in China are going to get pinched. Euro machines may be next. I only know of a couple of companies still making some classic woodworking machines in the US and they are in the pro level price range. For a mostly hobbiest like me tariffs just reinforce why I look for used machines before considering anything new. I suspect a lot more folks will do the same. The follow on from that is likely a price escalation of used machinery.

John

I smell smoke

Some posts are treading close to the line.

At least one other mod and me are watching carefully.

No harm in debating the merits of tariffs. But keep the sarcasm and/or refs to the administration out of it.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-20-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Does this effectively kill my chances of ever getting an 8" helical head jointer at a reasonable price that's perpetually back-ordered?

No matter, I caved and went out to re-purchase a used Ridgid 6" over the weekend. Still kicking myself for jumping the gun and getting rid of a perfectly good grey version of the Ridgid last year after ordering the 8" Grizzly.

As others already said--the prices aren't coming down after the dust settles.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    In the very long term, I supposed the objective is that the increased US production will return prices to what they were before the tariff was imposed.
    That's very funny, Grant.

It will be interesting to see what the unintended consequences are of the tariffs. An example of what I mean.

I take my cars in every year for emissions testing, and until this year, for a safety inspection. Both were required by law in Utah, but as of Jan 1 the safety was removed by law. Each year there was at least one that didn't pass the safety, for things like a wiper blade that had a 1/8" tear on the end, or a small cracked windshield, even once, a burnt bulb. I refuse to let the inspection place fix these things are it will cost me triple than if I do it myself. So I go and fix the issue, then return for a re-inspection. Once I have passed I have them do a On-The-Spot renewal of my registration. Normally I pay $10 for that service, plus the cost of the renewal. That I will pay gladly so it saves me a trip to the DMV. Every time I have to return for a re-inspection, they would not charge me the $10. At first I was like, 'no charge me as I don't want to fell guilty'. Finally one of the guys working there explained why they don't want to charge me. He said that their corporate office is always pushing them hard to have an average till ring of at least $70, and if they charge the $10, it kills their average. So they just don't charge it.

So do the math. If they let off 1 person a day, 6 days a week, for 52 weeks a year, that about $3100 in a year that the corporate office is missing in pure profit. Now times that by the 25 or so locations that this company has....around $78000 a year in missed profit. What if they don't charge 2 or 3 per day? The unintended consequence of pushing for higher sales per customer means a loss of potentially several hundred thousand per year in pure profit.

What are the unintended consequences of the tariffs? I promise there will be some. Some will see a way to make big money, while others are losing their minds.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck