Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. to collect 25% tariffs on Chinese woodworking equipment starting July 6

It is 25% of the ex. Works price as noted on the shipping paperwork.

The July 6 (US$ 34 billion) grouping "only" covers 818 HTS categories. A second set (US$16 billion covering 284 categories) is now in public hearings and may take 3 months to complete. The Administration has asked the USTR to suggest a third set (US$200 billion) that would be subject to a 10% tariff. I have also heard that there is a fourth set covering an additional US$200 billion in consideration, but that is unverified.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    The Administration has asked the USTR to suggest a third set (US$200 billion) that would be subject to a 10% tariff. I have also heard that there is a fourth set covering an additional US$200 billion in consideration, but that is unverified.
    Better reschedule the meeting with my financial advisor to 2021...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    We were talking at lunch the other day what it would take to let mama Fanuc take over the whole works. From scanning and defecting rough lumber, to getting it ready to load in the truck. I'm betting stacks of millions. But, I wouldn't have to attempt to hire cabinet makers any longer, just delivery people and maintenance techs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKmPMBOLao

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    If we have to choose between boring and inflammatory, I choose boring. It keeps more members. Reminding people to remain civilized is better than heavy handed editing.

Remember that much of the moderators attitude and practice is a reflection of what many members express to me privately.

We get many warnings from your peers to watch certain threads and to remind people to behave before things get out of hand.
    No offense intended to anyone, but I agree with this. I have no interest in folks' politics - only their tools and projects.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Of interest here is the fact that the majority of the "Chinese" exports that are a target of this tariff, are coming from from SE China in the Shenzhen area not so far from Hong Kong. This is a massive economic area in which foreign investment is both allowed and encouraged. The purpose for China is to employ vast numbers of workers (plus some tax revenue). The main advantage for the foreign investor is the low cost and availability of the labor pool. The main restriction on the foreign investors is that they can only export their production. This has the effect of protecting the existing domestic market for the existing suppliers, and in encouraging new manufacturers to locate in China and employ the population.

These foreign investors are folks like Ford, and Whirlpool, and GM, and Taiwanese machinery producers, and Japanese electronics companies, and virtually all of the world's fortune 5000 (and a lot of smaller investors)

So in targeting "Chinese" exports with this tariff, are we really hurting the Chinese government? The effect may be to cause some unemployment, but somehow I don't see it properly targeting what we want.

The issue as I understand it is intellectual property (IP). The companies that want to do something high tech anywhere in China have to agree to share their IP with the Chinese. For years China has been an assembler of components for others that have technology (like Apple whose phones are assembled by a Taiwanese company in factories located in China) (For $8 each). Now China want to move further into manufacturing technical items as well as doing the assembly. So they are strong arming companies who want to take advantage of the labor pool.

So, is a tariff that will have a minimal impact on the Chinese government (and a far greater impact on the US economy) going to solve the problem? It doesn't make sense to me. Somehow we all (countries) need to gang together to force China to play fair by not allowing technology to be arm wrestled away from the rightful owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    The issue as I understand it is intellectual property (IP). The companies that want to do something high tech anywhere in China have to agree to share their IP with the Chinese.
    That's what I don't get. They aren't stealing anything; if companies don't want to share their IP, then they don't have to. If the practice is illegal, the US should do something about it appropriate to the offense. If it is legal, then starting a trade war is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    That's what I don't get. They aren't stealing anything; if companies don't want to share their IP, then they don't have to. If the practice is illegal, the US should do something about it appropriate to the offense. If it is legal, then starting a trade war is absurd.
    I agree. So some company makes a deal with the devil risking their IP in exchange cheap labor and access to a controlled market economy and I am supposed to feel bad? The risk is all put on U.S. workers and shareholders IMHO.

Simple summary: IT'LL COST YA MORE to buy those tools!!
    Jerry

10. Basically I should probably put in that preorder/backorder for the Grizzly 15" planer I've been waiting to buy..

I belive the oldest building ion California is the customs house in Monterey. Governments were funded by charging tariffs on cargo imported into the country. Income tax was a temporary measure to pay for world war one and it would go away after that war ended 100 years ago.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by andrew weldon View Post
    Basically I should probably put in that preorder/backorder for the Grizzly 15" planer I've been waiting to buy..
    If it's not in the states before the 6th then it'll be subject to the tariff. If it's made in Taiwan then it's not part of the tariff. But Grizzly is planning on a 5% price increase on Taiwanese equipment because of rising costs not related to this tariff. Basically if it's not in stock chances are you'll not get it before the 6th. It is possible the shipment Grizzly is waiting for that could show up before the 6th may not have every piece of equipment already sold but if it's one of their more popular models I think the odds are against you.

Just imagine if you can drive across the border and pick it up for 25% less and call it personal use.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    Just imagine if you can drive across the border and pick it up for 25% less and call it personal use.....
    Or....... you can just go out and buy used three phase old iron

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    It seems to me that if a company chooses to manufacture in a country using that country's engineering and technical talent, they're sharing their IP whether they intend to or not. Re tariffs how is it okay for 20% tariffs going one way and 2% the other? I always thought the unbalanced trade was a means to help countries whose manufacturing base was devastated by WWII rebuild. I think they've been rebuilt and then some. So what's the excuse for ongoing one way trade deals?