Thread: Camaster Panther Arrival....

Camaster Panther Arrival....

Look what the cat dragged in....

Unload.jpg
    So pumped that it is finally here! Because I live only a few hours from Camaster HQ, they had Paul Harrison drop it right onto my shop floor using the double axle trailer shown. He did a wonderful job and couldn't be happier with the delivery experience. That is Paul in the background, and his helper in the foreground. Thanks to both of you!!!

Dollies.jpg
    Paul used 4 modified car dollies to maneuver the machine from the trailer. A floor jack was used to lift one end as he slid 2 dollies under the legs, and repeated on other side. The small wheels got stuck a bit on the transition to the ramp, but Paul levered it free with a long 2x4. Clearly he's done this a few times.... The dollies worked great, and I'll use this method next time I have to move the machine.

home.jpg
    Here is the machine in it's final home. I think it will work great in this position (thanks Jim Becker for suggesting this improved placement). I had to space it from the back wall ~9" or so because the vacuum table blast gates are lined up in the back. The lower box contained the Cyclone vacuum, and the upper box contained the PC system (CPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc).

Boxes.jpg
    2 Other boxes came with the machine.

Box 1.jpg
    The box on the right included the accessories shown. Standard equipment: 3 collets, HSD software (not sure what this is for), parallel cable, dust shoe, guideway carriage spare parts, touch pad, collet wrenches. Optional equipment: hold down clamps, remote keypad, maintenance kit, tailstock center.

Filter.jpg
    Box on left was the vacuum system canister filter. Very well built / heavy duty. Outlet (to vacuum) is on bottom.

Computer.jpg
    Contents of computer box. I've built a number of computers over the years. This setup is pretty basic but more than adequate for a control PC. Monitor has DVI and VGA inputs. I was pleased that computer also has HDMI output. Software included original Windows 10 CD and motherboard driver CD.

Cyclone Vacuum.jpg
    Here is Black Box Vacuum's "Cyclone" unit. Very heavy. Once again, I'm so far impressed how well this unit is built. Fit/Finish is superb.

Now I need to make all of my connections (compressed air, dust collection, main power, vacuum PVC, vacuum power, PC).

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Schmidt; 06-19-2018 at 9:39 PM.

Nice looking unit! Good luck with it.

That just looks awesome, Dan!! Eager to see it all go together and get up and running.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

She looks good in her new home. Congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Super fun days ahead. Looks great.

Wow...they got that out to you fast!! The factory is going gangbusters... That's a fine machine you selected and you're going to truly enjoy having it in your shop. Even the "learning curve" is fun, IMHO...and I'm living that dream! LOL

With your machine location, be sure you're comfortable with the clearance you have between the right-side wall and the Recoil lathe attachment relative to physical access. You do have a little room available to move the whole machine to the left a few more inches based on the photo. You'll want to consider getting the Kent dust shoe if you have not already ordered one....it's much better than the OEM unit and will take a 4" hose directly. Be sure you fully and completely ground your DC drop to the machine as very minor static charges can and will affect machine accuracy. This is something different from traditional woodworking machines where static is more of a personal body discomfort. Here, it can affect the electronics.

The Cyclone vacuum unit is really nice...I was salivating over the one on display at Jim McGrew's place during Aspire Camp, even though I don't really have much of a need for that for what I'm planning on doing with my CNC setup. It's the perfect size for a 4x4 machine.

One hint...check over things very carefully to insure nothing is loose from transport, etc. I was having a very minor issue with X-axis and, at least on my Stinger II, the singular belt on the machine that connects the X-Axis motor to the drive gears was slightly loose. This advice goes out for any machine, any make, any model. Shipping is what it is and sometimes things "move" slightly.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-20-2018 at 9:13 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

SPeaking of Dust Shoes...Vectric's latest project is to build one using the machine.

https://release.vectric.com/dustshoe/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations Dan, that's a great machine and a beautiful work space.