Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How much table saw do I need... or want?

Converted my saw from 3600 rpm which translates to 100 mph tip speed to 1750 rpm with variable speed below that. It's a much nicer saw. Safer, quieter, makes bigger sawdust and doesn't blow it around the shop as much so dust collection works better. Cut quality is as good with less risk of burning. It cuts a little slower so it has cost me 3 or 4 minutes this year.

Typically a higher tip speed yields a better quality cut. The regulatory bodies set a maximum tip speed of 19,000 fpm (217 mph) for any rotary device. I see best results in most cases with >10-12k fpm and often right near the maximum. Too low of a tip speed invites kickback, particularly with hand fed operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    Typically a higher tip speed yields a better quality cut. The regulatory bodies set a maximum tip speed of 19,000 fpm (217 mph) for any rotary device. I see best results in most cases with >10-12k fpm and often right near the maximum. Too low of a tip speed invites kickback, particularly with hand fed operations.
    I would almost have to agree. But I’m wondering about Who are these regularory bodies that state 19,000 fpm are the maximum?

The three highest speed tools that that I use are, 16,964 , 16,362, 15,580. My tablesaw is the fastest of the three and my dust collector is the slowest of the three.

The middle of the three is is a high speed spindle 125,000 RPM which has a maximum capacity of half inch diamond bit.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 08-07-2018 at 12:01 AM.

OSHA, for one.