Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom router bits?

Custom router bits?

Hi, I’m looking for down cut spiral bit. 1/8” shaft, 1/8” diameter and a 1 1/4” cut length to use on a CNC Router.

Can’t to find anything with a cut length longer than 13/16. Does anybody have a source for having a custom bit made?

Thanks!!

Hickory Saw and Tool if one off. Whiteside only does minimums of six now.

edited to add: Whiteside used to make custom bits for me, but I typically only want one of each. A couple of years ago, they referred me to Hickory, and they are very pleasant to deal with too.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-19-2018 at 6:09 PM.

Thanks Tom!

Harvey has a lot of esoteric cutters and I believe they will do custom, too. A 1/8" cutter that's long is atypical because of how brittle they can be. If you're cutting foam, well...less of an issue. Amana does have a few 1/8" cutters with longer cutting areas, but they top out at about 1 1/16" cut length for a down-cut carbide spiral.

https://www.toolstoday.com/solid-car...keywords=46562
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Vortex makes custom bits https://www.vortextool.com/custom.html

Not sure if there's a minimum quantity tho.

The 1 1/4" length will be a problem to find. It is too long and will want to break. I would ask Kevin or Brian at Vortex.

Precisebits has a couple of deep reach 1/8 dia bits as stock items (upcut, ball end). 1.25 cut length. They probably could make custom ones as well.

https://www.precisebits.com/products...each125b3f.asp
    Last edited by Richard Gonzalez; 06-20-2018 at 9:27 PM.

Would a Roto Zip bit work? I know its not a router bit but its 1/8 inch and meant to cut on the side.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Would a Roto Zip bit work? I know its not a router bit but its 1/8 inch and meant to cut on the side.
    Probably not without being really, really careful with speeds'n'feeds...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Probably not without being really, really careful with speeds'n'feeds...
    I have seen them pretty abused, and the price is right to see IF they would work. If the OP is just using for cutting I think it would be worth a try. I have some out in the shop, if it was not raining so hard I might go out just to try on my little machine, yes its in the detached shop. So much rainfall here in Iowa.

Bill, the danger with using tooling not designed for a CNC is that there may be a lot more stress put on it in multiple directions simultaneously and then there is the speed factor. I don't know what RPM the "roto-zip" type tools work at. One would have to take great care in that respect. RZ is a tool that your hand gets feedback from and you adjust accordingly. That's not there with the CNC router...it either works or goes "bang"...
    --

Roto zips run faster then the spindle around 30,000 rpm. I bouht some 1/8 inch 32 mm cut of E bay that I use for thick PVC

The only RotoZip bits I could find in my unorganized mess, were the ones for cutting out around outlet boxes and the like, not a mill type head. I cut that off with a abrasive disk and tried in some white pine at 13mm depth of cut. High spindle speed and pretty fast feed rate and the thing cut but did not clear out the kerf as it was so narrow. For the cost of a few bits, less than $10 I would experiment a bit. I can only assume a custom made router bit is $100 or so? He might have the same issue as a narrow kerf. And if he is wanting the same diameter, then I will assume that a router bit that long would tend to snap also.

I did get a chance to try out the tips I learned here about high feed rate and high spindle speed and wow you guys are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Roto zips run faster then the spindle around 30,000 rpm. I bouht some 1/8 inch 32 mm cut of E bay that I use for thick PVC
    That's on your CNC router, what are you using for a machine? I wish now I had at least a 48x48 work area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I can only assume a custom made router bit is $100 or so?
    While tooling does cost money, consider that a 4x8 sheet of 1" HDU can cost well over $400 and (assuming this is commercial work) the material markup, design costs and other factors are going to result in a good final price. So folks are going to be willing to invest in that longer tool if they need it to make the cut. What material the OP is working with is going to influence the risk factor of breakage and I don't believe she's indicated what they are cutting. But I can appreciate the situation as just yesterday I was cutting a small number sign for a house out of 1" HDU and mentally made the mistake of using my 1/8" end mill for the cut-out, forgetting that it was too short. That resulted in a very funky scrap-and-do-over. A 1/8" bit with more than 1" cutting depth was what I needed to do that and get better material yield than doing the cut-out with a 1/4" end mill. I ordered a longer 1/8" bit this afternoon, as a matter of fact.
    --