Thread: I wonder what this is?

I wonder what this is?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and thought I'd start out seeing if you could tell me what it is I have in my junk drawer.

Top view:
    DSCN1154a.jpg

Bottom view:
    DSCN1155a.jpg

This is an item I’ve been carrying around with me for a long time, and I have no idea what it is. A friend suggested that it was from a Shop Smith, but my brother got our dads Shop Smith back in 1964, and I haven’t had this that long. Speaking of long, this is about 8-1/2" long.

There’s a 20 thousandths piece of sandpaper (~120 grit, both sides) between the 2 parts. It’s cast aluminum, surfaced flat on the bottom, the tube diameter would be 1", the bevel is 40°, and the hardware is 3/8".

Curious minds need to know.

Regards,

Jim

Drill press table for a Craftsman 335.25926
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Thank you sir! I don't remember ever having one of those but it sure looks like it.

I am very familiar with a Shopsmith and that is not a SS part.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Shoot. I was just about to say Thing-a-MaBob.

But in case it's not a Drill press table for a Craftsman 335.25926, I'm going with Thing-a-MaBob.

It could be both.

I have one

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    Curious minds need to know.
    It's a tilt table from Royal Tools Drill Stand, Model #800 Drill:

drill_stand_B.jpg drill_stand_A.jpg

I bought this one about 45 years ago, it's now "vintage" and the value has probably skyrocketed to at least $10. Attach an electric drill. It made a great drill press when my shop was the back step and sidewalk and my primary power tool was a sabre saw.

If you have misplaced the rest of yours I can send you this one. I'll trade you for a shift knob from a 1958 Edsel Pacer.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Yes, that was my first accesory for my Craftsman 3/8" drill, circa 1976. I loved going to Sears back then and walking through the tool section. The Craftsman name elicited a different reaction then as compared to now.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I've always called it a framus. In fact if you look up framus in the dictionary there will be a picture of a Thing-aNaBob.

I've always called it a framus. In fact if you look up framus in the dictionary there will be a picture of a Thing-aNaBob.
    I KNEW it! Just as I knew it was NOT a Do-Hicky.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If you have misplaced the rest of yours I can send you this one. I'll trade you for a shift knob from a 1958 Edsel Pacer.

JKJ
    I was hoping you were going to ask for it and I'd be rolling in the dough. 😢

I was hoping you were going to ask for it and I'd be rolling in the dough. 😢
    My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and told her I wanted to be rolling in the dough. I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbird-1...l+large+mixers

-Tom

Welcome Jim. I'd be curious to learn what that bore diameter measures through the sleeve casting shown on the left side of your pictures?
    Last edited by Morey St. Denis; 06-22-2018 at 2:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morey St. Denis View Post
    Welcome Jim. I'd be curious to learn what that bore diameter measures through the sleeve casting shown on the left side of your pictures?
    1-3/16" piece of pvc will fit it, at either end it's closer to 1-5/32".

Seems like a part of meat grinder at the first glance!

Shift knob? Must have been three on the tree.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.