Thread: How many words and photos can be in a thread?

How many words and photos can be in a thread?

Sawmill Creek,

I've written a long post intended for the Musical Instruments Forum: 2,800+ words and about 15-20 photos 500-800K. The subject is how these are made by an organ builder in Virginia:

Attachment 388038

Will that need to be broken into parts?

Alan Caro

Max 15 images (including smilies) in a post. I think the character count limit per post is 3000, if I'm remembering correctly. So yes, you'll need to break things up into multiple posts within your thread. To keep things flowing once you figure out how many posts you'll need, put together the first post of your thread and then "reply" to it with temporary text (at least ten characters) multiple times and then go back and edit each one in order to add the additional information. Note, however, you need to be prepared to do this all at once as you have a short "edit window" in time before you lose editing privileges for a given post. I use this technique for all of my build threads.

Please also consider becoming a financial Contributor to SMC and help support the community. Six bucks isn't a lot of money to help this great resource!

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Max 15 images (including smilies) in a post.
    I thought it was 8 photos max in a post. ???

I just tried to post 9 in a test message and got this:

max_photos_per_post.jpg

Or maybe I get special limitations from posting too man photos.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    The limit is 8 per individual post. That is why you need to break up long posts or photo heavy ones.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The limit is 8 photos per post if hosted at SMC, but the limit on images (linked including smilies) is 15. I'm sorry I missed the SMC hosted photos thing since that's what we prefer folks use for posterities' sake. My bad...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Caro View Post
    Sawmill Creek,
    I've written a long post intended for the Musical Instruments Forum: 2,800+ words and about 15-20 photos 500-800K. The subject is how these are made by an organ builder in Virginia:
    Attachment 388038
    Will that need to be broken into parts?
    Alan Caro
    Alan,

Another option for including more than the 8 uploaded photos in one message (if it will work for you) is to combine several photos into one composite. I do this a lot to put related photos together. It's rather easy to do with a photo editing program such as Photoshop or Photoshop Elements that lets you work in layers.

For this one, for example, I stuck six photos together but it counts as one in a message:

wandmaking_comp1.jpg

I don't know if any composite photos would work for your document. When I clicked on your attachment it gave an error "Invalid Attachment specified."

JKJ