Thread: Changing Table

Changing Table

Some progress on the DIL's changing table in spite of few days off over the last month or so. I expect it will be finished before the big event if I can find a couple of days to work on it. The base is Poplar and MsBubba has volunteered to paint it with Milk Paint. Which is a good thing for several reasons, I hate to paint and it usually shows plus one of the draw bore pegs blew out the back side of the leg. A little pooky and paint and no one will know.

It is together to measure the lower slats. Once the slats are made I'll take it apart, clean up everything and hope I can get help on the glue up. The long stretcher and the slats will be pegged but not draw bored because there really isn't enough "meat" to draw bore. Then it will be on to making and installing a drawer to finish the base. The top will be some nice Cherry from the wood pile unless something else catches my eye.

A couple of photos:

changingTable180619dscf2742.jpg

From the other side, if you click it to big it you can see the blowout on the upper left leg.

changingTableB180619dscf2740.jpg

BTW, that's a story stick with markings for the lower stretchers and slats inside the base. Story sticks come in very handy for fitting those kind of pieces.

ken

Looks good so far. No fair pointing out falters. It makes others feel guilty if they don't follow suit. Not speaking about myself. I don't falter I just have design errors that I need correct.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Looks good so far. No fair pointing out falters. It makes others feel guilty if they don't follow suit. Not speaking about myself. I don't falter I just have design errors that I need correct.
    Jim
    Thanks Jim,

I was a little surprised to see the blowout, the pegs drove very easily. I haven't decided what I'll do to fix, remove the blowout and re-fit or just remove and fill with pooky. As it will be painted either will work. There are two secrets to building furniture, first figure out how to hide the boo-boos and second learn to keep your mouth shut about them.

ken

I have a good memory about lessons learned from mentors. One of those lessons was to wax the tip end of draw bore pegs and the bottom of the hole with a dowel or stick. It only takes a tiny splinter to catch and cause those break outs like you had. Withdrawing the dril bit causes those splinters to be pulled up in reverse making them more prone to catching. Dowels do the same and jamb up the works. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's usually bad. Also once the lead screw is loose pull the bit straight up not turning. The sharp edges of the spirals on the bit will cut most of them out. It's a little thing but not as bad as the repair, just like waxing screw threads it's worth it.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I have a good memory about lessons learned from mentors. One of those lessons was to wax the tip end of draw bore pegs and the bottom of the hole with a dowel or stick. It only takes a tiny splinter to catch and cause those break outs like you had. Withdrawing the dril bit causes those splinters to be pulled up in reverse making them more prone to catching. Dowels do the same and jamb up the works. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's usually bad. Also once the lead screw is loose pull the bit straight up not turning. The sharp edges of the spirals on the bit will cut most of them out. It's a little thing but not as bad as the repair, just like waxing screw threads it's worth it.
    Jim
    Jim,

I usually dip the pegs in hide glue to give some lubrication, kinda double duty. The drill bit I didn't think of, Thanks.

ken