Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why doI never see Greene and Greene furniture mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Its official . . . I hate you .

I think you've told that story here but, I would love to hear it again; you lucky dog.
    Glen,
    The Gamble house was, and I believe still is, owned/managed/maintained jointly by the City of Pasadena and The University of Southern California School of Architecture. As a 5th year Architecture student with economic challenges I was selected to live in the house for my final year. I had no real responsibilities other than acting as a vandel/theft deterrent and infrequently filling in as a tour guide when a real Docent was not available on a weekend. I lived in what was the Maid's Room off the Kitchen and was restricted from entertaining guests (imagine being 21, living there and not having your friends or girls over).

On the other hand, being immersed in one of the ultimate examples of Stick & Shingle/Craftsman Style architecture and furnishings had an enduring impact on my design aesthetic. I can't begin to estimate the hours spent observing, fondling and learning to understand what and how the brothers created in this devine place. It melded so intrinsically with the Pacific Rim/Asian influence of my upbringing.

Note- Glen can you really hate someone who has so much respect and admiration for your own creations? You, as much as anyone, comprehend the G&G style. Your pieces are not reproductions, they are original pieces that creatively embrace a most pleasing design style that honors the craftsmen and materials. Come on Brother, I know you love me.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 06-21-2018 at 2:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Showoff glenn

Blog Entries
    We visited San Diego some years back and went to the Gamble house. I would like to go again.

A dog with a G&G feeding station is a dog with class, feed him well!
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A very relaxed Bull mix.

Attachment 388190

Whenever I can I work in the G & G style. Had to raise my game.

I highly recommend taking the woodworker's tour of the Gamble House.

Blog Entries
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Lee, you beat me to that post by 30 minutes! LOL. Personally I prefer the G&G style over the more traditional Stickley A&C style primarily because it feels more refined to me. Clearly Charles Greene was heavily influenced by traditional A&C furniture, especially in his earlier work. There is a definite Asian influence in his later work, which to my eye adds a softer more refined look to the work.

Certainly the G&G style is not for everyone, but as woodworkers it is worth a visit to the Gamble house in Pasadena as well as the Huntington Library Museum. The museum has an impressive collection of G&G work that is displayed in a way that you can get very close and study the details. Regardless if you like the style or not there is no denying that the craftsmanship coming from the Hall brothers shop was extraordinary.

Here is is a photo of the crest rail from one of the Gamble house chairs on display at the Huntington. The detail and amount of work in this is only apparent when you view the piece from just the right angle. I have found that this very subtle detail work a common thread with G&G furniture.

5FDD78BE-BAA2-4186-B5F6-6E6647AC6C8E.jpg

Its easy to see see why this furniture was so expensive. I read somewhere that the furniture for a G&G home cost more than a typical house of the time.

Here is a link to a Greene and Greene style window frame I built some time back.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....dow&highlight=

I don't specifically like to "copy" a period design style in whole. I like to take elements of the design style and work them into what I do. This window was an exception. I stayed very much to form with it.
    I'd like to remake it now simply because my skill sets have improved since then, and I know I could execute it better, but it's still beautiful to this day.
    I am probably more a Limbert fan, than Greene and Greene.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-23-2018 at 5:06 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    Its easy to see see why this furniture was so expensive. I read somewhere that the furniture for a G&G home cost more than a typical house of the time.
    When we did the Gamble house tour the first time, the last stop was David Gamble's office on the front of the house. Apparently he decided after the house was finished he needed an office, but the furniture is typical for the period, not G&G. The docent said Mr Gamble specifically said not to call the Greene brothers to design the office as it would cost too much.