Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe In Limbo...

Lathe In Limbo...

So, I ordered a Grizzly G0765 - 7" X 14" Variable-Speed Benchtop Lathe a few months ago and it's still backordered. I'm assuming that it's being held up due to all the trade stuff going on between US and China. Do you think that's actually the case and if so, what do you thing my chances are of this machine coming back in stock?

I think they are held up by supply issues not tariffs at the moment. You might want to see what else is available now and get it and cancel the Grizzly order unless it is the one you have your heart set on. Rikon makes a little lathe in that size range.

I agree with Peter - seems like supply issues, not tarrifs. There have been multiple reports on SMC lately about Grizzly backorders.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I agree with Peter - seems like supply issues, not tariffs. There have been multiple reports on SMC lately about Grizzly backorders.
    Fred
    +1 on this. Grizzly was running tight on supplies before politics blew things up-- I saw people posting that their Grizzly planer or jointer was significantly back ordered a few months back if I recall.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

After doing for research, I was sold on this machine as the best in class at the price. I figured, even back when I ordered it, that there may be a delay due to the trade stuff going on. Now that everything is going south, I'm wondering if it's going to come at all. I'm no expert on trade, so I have no idea if it's simply a delay in manufacturing or if its being purposely held due to trade issues.
    This must be really effecting companies like Griz and HF, that get many machines from China. But like I said, I'm no expert.

Derek somewhere in here it was reported that China 's steel industries/manufactures were complying with pollution regulations and some companies had to shut down or slow down while they modernized. That's what the supply problem is. Tariffs on machines haven't been imposed yet. Now if you want to chance that Grizzly gets your lathe to you before tariffs do come into effect then wait. Maybe Grizzly will honour the ordered price and absorb the tariff. Call Grizzly and ask. If they won't then you might be better off getting the number two lathe that you can buy now. If the Grizzly goes up by 25% is it still going to be a better value than a Little Machine Shop lathe you can get today?"
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 06-19-2018 at 11:15 AM.

I'm in the same boat, same lathe and the same date, first week of July currently (as of 3 weeks ago). I think the date is July 6th for the tariffs. The price is why I went with the Grizzly and if it goes up 25% then I'm most likely going to cancel the order. But I'm going to wait to see when it comes in and decide then. The tariffs are designed to force China into removing theirs. It could be quick as China can't afford to get into a tariff war with us. But then again who knows. The problem is that it's not just Grizzly products, but all from China. So once the current stock in the US gets sold new ones from China of every brand will jump in price. There's also a period of time later in July where companies can go the the government and request an exemption from the Tariffs. I personally don't know why the Tariffs include things like lathes as the 25% doesn't even raise the price to what one made in Taiwan would cost and comes nowhere near what one made in America would cost. I'm thinking the folks at Grizzly are probably in a panic as half of their products could see a huge price jump. A large number of their backorders are going to be cancelled.

Have you called Grizzly to see if they have a new date yet for their shipment? Have you asked them about the tariffs? That was what I was planning on doing at the end of the month.
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 06-19-2018 at 2:30 PM.

Alex, when I ordered, back on April 6th, I read that the price would remain the same if I ordered now, so I did. I was in no hurry. Hopefully that will be the case. I haven't called Griz, as I got a card in the mail saying that the order was delayed and believe mine said July as well. If you hear anything more, please let me know. Thanks all for the great info. I have no clue about these things.

I ordered mine April 5th. I got the card in the mail but it didn't say much. I was told that it would be the end of May (23rd maybe) so when that week came I called up. I was then told the 1st week of July was the new date. If that date holds then we should be fine. If it gets pushed back again then the Tariff will be an issue.

I'm not going to add much here, but I was in the Bellingham showroom a couple of weeks ago asking about the G0766. I was told they "should have some" by the end of the month, but that they had been on backorder since October...

I'm upping my budget because of that - the not really sure if they're going to get them in (given current politics).

Here is what Papa Grizzly Just said.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....es-going-up-25

The GO766 has may have been on back order since October, but a shipment did arrive in March. That's when I got mine. If you want something that is back ordered, you have to place an order for it. Don't wait until it comes in stock. Others are placing orders for the tools and if there are more orders than supply, the tool will just keep on showing that it is back ordered on the site. I waited about 3 weeks for my G0766 Lathe and I waited about 5 weeks for my G1023RL Table Saw.

Don’t worry...I did place the order back in the beginning of April. I called CS at Griz and was assured the price I ordered at.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Don’t worry...I did place the order back in the beginning of April. I called CS at Griz and was assured the price I ordered at.
    That flies in the face of what the owner said in his thread I linked yesterday.

5) Any back ordered item, regardless of how long ago the order was placed, that comes in after July 6th will be charged the new higher price as we are unable to take a 25% hit. This tariff is beyond our control and we are being forced to increase prices."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    That flies in the face of what the owner said in his thread I linked yesterday.

5) Any back ordered item, regardless of how long ago the order was placed, that comes in after July 6th will be charged the new higher price as we are unable to take a 25% hit. This tariff is beyond our control and we are being forced to increase prices."
    He also said that they are expecting a shipment to come in very soon. While he didn't say that it would show up before the 6th it sounds like it will. For those of us who ordered in April our lathes should be coming in on this shipment. So the CS rep is probably assuming that it will arrive before the 6th so the price will not go up. Just my personal opinion. At least the UPS strike looks to be adverted so when they do show up that's one less thing to deal with (at least for me as they are the only shipper that Grizzly uses with terminals in New England).