Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3hp Plunge Router Recommendations

3hp Plunge Router Recommendations

I'm considering setting up a 3hp plunge router primarily to use for planning large tops or slabs. I have a PC 7518 mounted in my table but don't really want to pull it out of the lift every time to use it for planning. I'm kind partial to PC routers but see they have discontinued their large models with a plunge base. Dewalt, Makita, Trition, etc. ?? Does anyone have one of these in a 3hp plunge base configuration like or don't like certain features?

Splurge on a Festool.

Bosch, Makita and Dewalt have good 3 hp routers. I have two of the Dewalt version (Model 625) that have worked great for me.

I just bought a Triton. It seems to work well in the table. I am still not sure I like the interlocks but the rack and pinion lift is nice. I don't think I would like it as a handheld. It just looks clumsy. I just finished replacing the bearings in my Dewalt 625 after 20 years or more under the table. A great 3 HP plunger. I recommend it for heavy work.
    Charlie Jones

The wife just bought me the Bosch 15 amp router. It's rated at 2.3hp but it's the same as the ones rated at 3, 3.25. and 3.5 HP. I got it to make raised panels out of 3/4" PVC sheets but I tried it out on a scrap piece of maple and the bit (3 1/2" 4 cutter) didn't slow the router down one bit. It comes with both fixed and plunge bases. I have the fixed base mounted to my router table with the router in it. I haven't tried the plunge base yet. The fixed base works very well. It also comes with a plastic case. I love cases, put the tool in it and then put it on a shelf. Everything you need is in the case and it's not getting beat up. Too many companies either no longer offer a case or if they do it's one of those soft sided bags. The problem with the Bosch is that it will not work with a router table lift. It has the trigger in the handle. It's nice because you don't have to let go of the router with one hand to turn it on or off (the variable speed is on the end of the router though). But it has contacts on the router and each base. Without one of the bases connected you have no way of turning on the router so it will not work in a lift.

The Festool OF2200 has a lot of power and the dust collection is superior but the price is very high. I have used it several times (don't own one because I have no need for a router that large) and I can't imagine any job it wouldn't handle. I own the smaller Triton and Triton makes a great router also. Dust collection isn't as good as Festool routers but also very good.

Seriously,P.C. quit making the 7539 plunge router. Guess that should not be a surprise since black and decker-Dewalt owns them now. I have one and definitely will not sell it now.

Get the 3 horse PC plunge router; I do not have the model number, but I have one and it is a bull hoss. My next suggestion would be the Festool big boy, or DeWalt 3 horse plunger.

Is this for a router table? I have the big Triton and like it.

If its for a hand held, why do you think you need such a big one? They can get rather onerous to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

If its for a hand held, why do you think you need such a big one? They can get rather onerous to handle.
    I had two smaller ones before I got the Bosch and I agree, a 15 amp router is a heavy beast. I can say that for a plunge router I like having the trigger on the grip right at your finger tip. Being able to hold it with both hands while turning it on is nice, even with the soft start feature. But I don't use routers much so I'm a little more cautious when I'm about to do a plunge cut. After using the Bosch with the plunge base I can see it being mainly used with the router table as most of the time it'll be used with large bits like for a raised panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

"I'm considering setting up a 3hp plunge router primarily to use for planning large tops or slabs. I have a PC 7518 mounted in my table but don't really want to pull it out of the lift every time to use it for planning."

I took Alex's tip on the Bosch, liked what I've read about it, ordered the Bosch MRP23EVS 2.3 hp 15amp. It will be delivered next week and will give her try. Thanks for all the good input!

I've put a few hours on this Bosch MRP23EVS router and quite impressed. I used it for about 3-4 hours last week sled planning a kitchen island countertop. It spun a 1-3/4" Amana planning bit for hours without complaint, making piles of cherry sawdust. Nice features, it powers up a couple LED lights on the worksurface when plugged in. The soft start and switch located down on the handle are very convenient features. The micro adjustment was very handy for tuning in the depth of cut. Even the power cord has a ball swivel type strain relief where the power cord exits the housing. I've been a loyal Porter Cable only router guy but this Bosch has me thinking I need to be a little more open minded. Makes my PC routers almost seem a little "primitive".
    Last edited by julian abram; 07-08-2018 at 6:56 PM.

Congrats and thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    I've put a few hours on this Bosch MRP23EVS router and quit impressed. I used it for about 3-4 hours last week sled planning a kitchen island countertop. It spun a 1-3/4" Amana planning bit for hours without complaint, making piles of cherry sawdust. Nice features, it powers up a couple LED lights on the worksurface when plugged in. The soft start and switch located down on the handle are very convenient features. The micro adjustment was very handy for tuning in the depth of cut. Even the power cord has a ball swivel type strain relief where the power cord exits the housing. I've been a loyal Porter Cable only router guy but this Bosch has me thinking I need to be a little more open minded. Makes the PC routers almost seem a little "primitive".
    Yes, it is a great tool. I have the worldwide version Bosch GOF1600CE. I am also very impressioned.

It has probably the biggest depth of cut in its class and a great dust collection system. The power switch in the handle and the smooth plunge action complete it as the best high power router for handle, IMO.

Thanks for your feedback and enjoy your new tool!

All the best.

I also have the MRP23EVS set. I’ve done the full range of rabbets, chamfers, round-overs, flattening, and I just got done cutting half blind dovetails with it on the PC jig for 11 drawers. Never skips a beat. It’s a nice rig. I sprung for the collar set to use with PC inserts, etc. I will add the Oneida dust hood at some point too. I’d buy this setup again, it will not disappoint you.