Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Shipping

I live in a dead end street with a long driveway so I had the same concerns when I first ordered from Grizzly. I ordered a bandsaw and since Grizzly had said the delivery company couldn't turn around in the dead end street, I planned on picking it up at the freight terminal. When UPS called and said that the bandsaw was in, they said the truck had a liftgate and that I could meet the driver at a location close to me and I could just slide it off onto my truck. When the driver called me to meet me, he said he could just come to one block over from me so he wouldn't have to go down my one way street. So that's what we did. A few months later, I ordered a lathe and planned on doing the same thing but UPS didn't call me until the driver was coming down my street. The driver said the dead end street was no problem. He had a drop gate, unloaded the lathe on a pallet jack and pushed it up my 150 ft driveway and into my shop. I tipped him $20. Last month, I ordered a Grizzly table saw and the same driver did the same thing. Unloaded and pushed it right into my shop. Tipped him $20 again.

2. I bought a whole garage full of Grizzly equipment. We live at the end of a dirt 1/2 mile road, up a hill through the woods and the box truck with lift gate delivered it to my garage door.

Blog Entries
    This it’s not grizzly’s idea, it’s the shippers. The driver is always been glad to haul the carton or pallet all the way into my shop for me and refused to take a tip. I have heard widely varying stories for different parts of the
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-24-2018 at 1:25 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I haven't had too much luck meeting up with UPS/ FedEx drivers. Usually they are on a tight schedule. But that's not freight so maybe it's different. I assumed that I would just pick up my lathe at the depot and make life easier as I'm up a sort of steep driveway and while they can turn around at my house it's easier for them and me to either load it into the back of my truck at the depot or down the road from my house. When it arrives I'll talk to the driver and find out what works best.

So for everyone that purchased from grizzly how long from when they charge your credit card does it take for them actually ship? I got a low credit alert email from my credit card company first time i was glad to see that but no notification from grizzly yet. Need to start working on the logistics of getting a day off work to receive it.

I can't answer your question Chris but hopefully it's a good sign that Grizzly received a shipment. If you don't mind me asking did you order something made in China or Taiwan? How long ago did you place your order?

ordered in April its a G0766 lathe from china so i beat the tariff deadline.

copied this from grizzly's web site when you check availability. Order today to secure your spot in line and lock in this price. Your credit card will not be charged until we ship your product and you may cancel at any time. so I would think it went out today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I don't think the driver is even required to off load it. Just get it to the tail end of the truck.
    Having said that most drivers will help beyond what they have to do.
    When dealing with freight companies one has to remember its not like dealing with the local hardware store and having a stove or dishwasher deviled where you get full service.
    I spent 40 years in transportation industry and it's not delivered until it's off the truck... unless it's a drop and hook, then the delivery is just the whole trailer... but as said, often drivers will assist... my son had a 600 lbs crate delivered to my place last week... the driver helped slide it off the lift gate unto his trailer and even assisted with the tie down...

I just got an email saying my G0766 has shipped so Grizzly must have gotten their China shipment.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I just got an email saying my G0766 has shipped so Grizzly must have gotten their China shipment.
    Congrats Alex! Feel free to check out the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] for all things Grizzly lathes. You will find some very VALUABLE information there, especially regarding the G0766. Since the introduction of this model, some changes have been made to refine them to the American market, but there is tons of information for owners.
    Go to the community tab at the top of the page, then click groups, then you can join if you wish.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I had pretty much exactly this experience. The UPS freight driver was super helpful and refused to accept a tip. He brought the pallet on a pallet jack, and helped me by pushing my bandsaw up a steep driveway and dropping it in the shop. It was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    It really depends on the local driver. My Grizzly jointer was off loaded on the street on a pallet jack. The driver pushed it into my shop some 80' down my gravel driveway, while a neighbor and I rotated sheets of 1/2' plywood for him to roll it on. When I tried to give him a $20 tip, he refused it. When my MM-16 delivered, same scenario but I finally convinced the driver to take the tip but it did require some effort on my part.

That went fast new G0766 is sitting in my driveway in front of my garage door under a tarp. As soon as the storms pass and a friend comes over going to move it into my garage.

Mine is set up and ready to go. I think the factory hires children to secure them in the crate as most of the bolts were loose or had fallen out. Nothing was damaged but I'm glad it didn't need to travel much further. Probably the biggest issue was the plate that the motor mounts to. Two of the flat head screws were loose and the other two had fallen out. The good news is that by removing the motor to reinstall/ tighten them up it made it a lot easier to install the head unit on the lathe as it weighed half as much.

No help showed up so i had to break it down into pieces to get it in the garage. Didnt want to leave it sitting outside all night. After i dry off from all the sweat off to clean off the oil then figure out how to get the legs on.