Thread: Powermatic vs Jet Planer

Powermatic vs Jet Planer

Been a while since I posted in here. Not much time for working with wood anymore, but I'm looking at getting a planer. I know there are better planers out there, but I think I'll be happy with a 20" Jet or Powermatic. Does anyone know the differences between the two anymore? To me they look almost identical, with the exception of the base. I know Powermatic is having a 10% off sale through tomorrow and I was thinking Jet is holding a 10% off sale here next month. Is it worth the extra $1000 for the Powermatic?

I've also been thinking of getting one of the cheaper 20" helical planers. Elite Metals had the Shop Fox W1754S for something like $2400 shipped, but now it is no longer on their website. Couldn't really find many reviews but I get the impression all these planers are the same.

Most4 post planers are virtually the same. I wouldn't pay the $1k extra for the Powermatic. Is it better? Maybe but not $1k better. I have Jet tools also and wouldn't pay the premium over Grizzly/Shop Fox so I would suggest you give them a look also.