Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ducting My DC To Outside My Shop

The 8" dryer vent works great. Even when the chips take a ride through.

Hi,
    I have a 3HP Oneida SDG system. The way mine is set up, the outlet side of the blower leads to a curved plenum that connects to the large HEPA filter and that's it. I've located it in a mechanical room where there was an existing louvered vent opening to the outside that was installed to provide make up air for the gas water heater, so I have no pressure imbalance in the room. I see no mention in any of the literature that recommends exhausting to the outside. Is there a reason why I would want to do so?
    Edwin

My entire DC is now outside, and I love that. No more noise, lots of space reclaimed. Have you considered that?

"If you vent outside, you'll suck out all the heat!" I sure hope so, this is Arizona. Half the year I have the swamp cooler blowing in, and those are more effective with more air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 3HP Oneida SDG system. The way mine is set up, the outlet side of the blower leads to a curved plenum that connects to the large HEPA filter and that's it. I've located it in a mechanical room where there was an existing louvered vent opening to the outside that was installed to provide make up air for the gas water heater, so I have no pressure imbalance in the room. I see no mention in any of the literature that recommends exhausting to the outside. Is there a reason why I would want to do so?
    Edwin
    The advantage of exhausting directly outside is potentially better performance and no need to clean filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    My entire DC is now outside, and I love that. No more noise, lots of space reclaimed. Have you considered that?

"If you vent outside, you'll suck out all the heat!" I sure hope so, this is Arizona. Half the year I have the swamp cooler blowing in, and those are more effective with more air flow.
    Is your shop ever air conditioned? That would be the Arizona equivalent problem. But if only a swamp cooler, no matter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The advantage of exhausting directly outside is potentially better performance and no need to clean filters.
    Yes, it definitely moves more air with the same power, and all I have to do is dump the drum when the depth monitor turns red. But the noise advantage is huge too. About 50% of my work is done with others, and now we can talk. Also I hate noise in general anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Is your shop ever air conditioned? That would be the Arizona equivalent problem. But if only a swamp cooler, no matter.
    Nope, no AC. I always have both garage-shop doors open. One is the wood shop, the other is the metal, storage, parts area, so I often walk between them. On occasion when we have a few days of harsh winter weather I simply go enjoy a different hobby. The only time I heat the shop is when it becomes a cigar lounge in bad winter weather, and no work is being done.

I don't really have the noise issue because my cyclone and compressor are in a sound-deadened closet, but if it were not for heat/AC concerns in my particular climate, I would have gone to venting outside for sure because of the performance boost.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another benefit to ducting out is fewer places for air leaks allowing fine dust to get in the shop. Each joint from the impeller to the collection can on the bottom of the filter and the filter media itself if there are undetected holes can blow fine dust back into the shop. Blowing it outside or better having the DC outside reduces or eliminates that possibility. When you live in an extreme climate then outside venting isn’t practical.

A good point, Peter. Even though I had 1 micron cartridges on my previous DC, there certainly was some fine dust in the shop, and the particle counter, while reading low, was not zero either. Now the particle counter goes DOWN when running the DC. I rarely see fine dust anywhere.

Oh, here's something VERY important... If you have a garage shop and there's a gas water heater, you have to make sure to get enough in-feed air to not suck carbon monoxide into the shop. This could, of course, be deadly.