Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducting My DC To Outside My Shop

Ducting My DC To Outside My Shop

I have my DC piped all through my shop. It's been running great since I installed it about 12 years ago. The outlet side of the blower unit is an 8" round. I used to have it hooked up to a large truck air filter to put that air back in the shop. Since I can't afford to keep replacing those air filters any longer, I'm wanting to vent it to the outside of my shop. What are your ideas to run and vent that 8" outlet outside my metal building shop? I don't want to leave it open for birds, bees, wasps, and etc....oh to include rain....so I'd like to have something I could close manually or a DIY that would close itself when the DC air flow stopped.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, How much Sawdust are we talking? I have a 10" outlet on mine and it is ran thru the wall and sticks out about 12" and then I have a 10" flex hose attached to the end and then that flex is attached to a boxed in 6x12 dump trailer I built up about 7 feet tall and enclosed with plywood and a 2x4 frame. I have to empty mine about once a month or so give or take

My recommendation would be to "up size" the line to the outside...say 10" or 12"...and have it with #8 hardware cloth at the termination to keep out bugs and other vermin and with a louvered setup that opens with air flow and closes when the unit isn't running. My 1200 CFM range hood is setup that way. You may need to transition to rectangular or square at the termination to use the louvered outlet, depending on it's design. You'll also want to install the outlet such that it's protected from the elements, such asunder the building eaves.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would not recommend to cover outside line with any cloth. Eventually it will clog with dust or debris and you will lost your suction. I am using just round wall vent with gravity dumper. In 5 years never have any problem.
    Ed.

Remember you need to have air coming into the shop from an open window, door or a different vent roughly 3 times the size as the one going into the DC. If you don't it will pull air in from where ever if can including down your wood stove, furnace or hot water chimney.

When I ducted mine to the outside I placed a screen with 1/4" openings thinking I'd keep the critters out. Even though the cyclone usually collects all but fine dust, enough larger stuff got through and clogged the screen in a couple of days. The screen is now gone.

In my last house, the shop was in the basement. All the DC equipment was the same. Ducting outside presented no problems because it was pulling air from every little air gap in the house. Now the shop is in a one car garage. I have to open a window or door when the DC is running. If I don't, air is pulled in from the attic through gaps in the access door. And my DC is only 3/4HP with a 4" duct.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I have a 6" piping system with an 8" outlet, and I built an outlet that looks like a huge dryer vent. Used 2 door hinges to make a 1/4" plywood door that closes when the blower is turned off. I put the outlet under the overhang, and just ran the cover up to the soffit. Also made a blast gate so I can run the air through the filter during the coldest part of winter, and when I am trying to cool the shop. Hot afternoons and very cold days don't work so well when exhausting outside. But my DC air flow is 1/2 or 1/3 when using the filter.

I'm currently looking at something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/ALDES-Spring-...keywords=ALDES

That fits into the end of your pipe run, and moving air will open the butterfly gates and allow all to pass. Air stops, gates shut. Feels like a viable solution to me, allowing fine dust and any larger bits to pass, closing it off once I'm done. I intend to have the exhaust pipe (currently 5") expand to 6 near this to allow for any decreased volume caused by the actual gates.

I vent my dc outside. I had been using a thien style set up but my 2 hp dc wasn't getting the job done on longer runs. I switch to going straight through the dc and put a dryer vent cover that hinges. Since I'm venting without the baffle system I occasionally have to clean out the louvers on the dryer vent cover. Generally if I'm using the joiner or planer, I will re route through the baffle system since those two machines throw a higher and larger amount of chips. I really like this setup, though not perfect, it suits my needs. Fortunately I live in the country and the nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away so no problems with complaints of noise or dust.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Remember you need to have air coming into the shop from an open window, door or a different vent roughly 3 times the size as the one going into the DC. If you don't it will pull air in from where ever if can including down your wood stove, furnace or hot water chimney.
    Very true....but Dennis is in Arkansas and has to work with everything open just to keep from suffering heat stroke...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis, I have one of these, and it connects directly to my Oneida 5hp Dust Gorilla Pro. It's an 8" "dryer" vent with a flapper. Works great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ducted mine outside with flex hose and just pointed it a little toward the ground. I've never had an issue with animals or anything getting in.

If you have a cyclone you could use hardware cloth if you're worried about it.

BTW, bypassing that filter will improve performance quite a bit. ;-)

That’s what i use - works great.
    Speedi-Products SM-RWVD 8 Wall Vent Hood with Spring Damper, 8-Inch

Last edited by dennis davidson; 06-19-2018 at 9:38 PM. Reason: forgot to ad data

I wouldn't worry about anything taking up residence because as soon as you fire up the dust extractor they will leave at high speed.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening