Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my bandsaw losing power?

Is my bandsaw losing power?

Hi,
    I asked a question a while back about thrust bearing activity when cutting on a bandsaw. This question has nothing to do with set up of the bearings.
    Here's what's happening, when I start a more demanding cut (like a 4" or more resaw), the cut starts fine for an inch or two with the thrust bearing touching now and then. Then things change and I need to use more feed pressure, the rate of cut slows down dramatically and the thrust bearing starts spinning like a banshee, and this will continue until the cut ends. The motor never stalls and I have never tripped the breaker.
    I think something is wrong. The saw is a Laguna 16SEC made by Meber with a 2.5hp motor. It's plugged into a 20a 240v outlet with a twist lock plug which says L6-30P on it.

I tested the receptacle with a multi meter and it tests at 240v.

I have had this saw for about 20 years, and remember it cutting with much more ease. Changing to a brand new blade makes no difference. Could this be a problem with the motor? Or the electrical service?

Thanks for helping me diagnose it
    Edwin

What b lade? Could it be too fine a tooth pitch?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I think you are in Brazil? is this single or three phase? I wonder if you have lost one phase into the motor.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    My first check would be tooth count. Once spoil cannot be ejected rapidly enough, the impact on feed rate and cut is very apparent.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. I'm in the southwest US, not Brazil. It's a single phase motor. The blade I am using is a 1/2" 3tpi Lenox tri-master, but when I tried a brand new blade, I switched to a never before used carbon steel 1/2" 3tpi.
    Maybe my memory is playing with me, but I recall being able to saw with much greater ease and no particular stress on the thrust bearing like I'm experiencing now.
    Oh, and I recently replaced the belt thinking an old worn belt might be a contributor, but the new belt hasn't made a difference.
    Edwin,

A 1/2"x 3 tpi blade won't cut all that fast in 4" wood in any case but it sounds like yours is loading up with sawdust, as Glenn suggested. I'd try a wider blade if your saw can handle it with a low tooth count. Also, do you have dust collection to handle the sawdust?

John

I agree with Glenn and John. If your bandsaw was losing power, it would do it from the beginning of the cut through to the end of the cut of 4" tall material. The fact that it starts easy and then requires more pressure after you are into the wood indicates the blade isn't clearing the sawdust and it's loading up the cut causing more friction requiring more pressure to feed it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    A 1/2"x 3 tpi blade won't cut all that fast in 4" wood in any case but it sounds like yours is loading up with sawdust, as Glenn suggested. I'd try a wider blade if your saw can handle it with a low tooth count. Also, do you have dust collection to handle the sawdust?

John
    Hi John,
    The lowest tooth count blade I have is a 3/4" variable 2/3 tpi. I just tried it and the cut behavior is the same. I don't feel this particular saw is suited for a blade wider than 3/4". I do have a centralized Oneida dust collector and the 4" hose is connected to the port just under the table. I'm tensioning pretty much along the saw's scale indicator. Maybe I will try cranking it higher.
    Edwin

Crank the tension 1/2 turn and experiment with the Trimaster. You won't overtension that blade, just be sure the spring is not bottomed out. If not, go another 1/2 turn. Indicators on the saw mean nothing other than reference from day to day and a 1/2" blade can deflect pretty easily under lower tension. It is possible that the spring has weakened and that is why the saw used to cut better. If that doesn't help, back to square one. Dave

Blog Entries
    I had an very similar problem with my 14" Delta Band Saw a few years ago and a while after I had it set up and running. It would bog down when making a resaw cut. I thought I needed more horsepower, a better blade, etc. What I ended up finding was that the belt was loose. I tightened the belt just slightly and it was walking right through boards that previously had stalled the cut. Before you go nuts checking things, check the belt tension.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-18-2018 at 6:55 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I had a similar problem recently and it was a head scratcher. My issue was belt tension. I originally went with that thought and put a new belt on. Worked great then the problem returned. Belt needed to be tightened again, either the setting moved or the new belt stretched. My saw did the exact same thing, fine the first inch or two then it bogged down. Makes sense now the belt was slipping. Maybe double check the belt tension?

Edit:

I guess Lee and I were typing at the same time.......

I also have a Laguna.

Tighten your motor V Belt and all should be OK. You have already eliminated almost everything else. Usually, it just takes loosening the motor mount bolts, moving the motor a little until the belt is tighter, and re-tighten the motor mounting bolts.

Charley

Thank you gentlemen, this was good advice on the belt being the source of my trouble. I had a new link belt lying around that I've been meaning to try out. So I installed it and did my best to adjust the motor so the belt was good and tight. It seems like the saw has a lot more power. It's not straining through the cut anymore, you can feel less stress on the saw. I'll keep an eye on it because I've heard that link belts need another tightening after break in.

As a bonus, the link belt reduced vibration and noise quite a bit.
    Edwin

Keep in mind a link belt is a fractional HP belt so your application isn't ideal for the long term. Glad you got it sorted out and it ended up being a cheap and easy fix. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Keep in mind a link belt is a fractional HP belt so your application isn't ideal for the long term. Glad you got it sorted out and it ended up being a cheap and easy fix. Dave
    Dave,
    Thank you for educating me on this. I had no idea. Now that I've I.D'd the problem, I'll have to go out and get a conventional V-belt when I get a moment. Do you have an opinion about cogged vs. conventional type v-belts for this application? Why are link belts so heavily promoted in woodworking circles?
    Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 06-19-2018 at 4:46 PM.