Thread: Breaker Question

Breaker Question

Hello,

I have a Eaton - Cutler Hammer panel (image below) and want to get breaker for a 240V 20 amp outlet, but am a bit confused on which style will work for it. There are other breakers in the panel, but the previous owner used a whole assortment of cheapo ones not up to code. Thanks!
    Breaker copy.jpg
    Last edited by Evan Lentz; 06-18-2018 at 2:03 AM.

There should be another label in the panel that tells you exactly what breakers are compatible with that panel. Post up a photo of that label, and I’m sure someone will be able to help you.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

It's most likely a Cutler Hammer BR series load center. There are a number of manufacturers who use the same style bus bar in their load centers, and their breaker will snap into a BR load center. Probably why you have a variety of breakers in the panel. I'm not sure if mixing breakers is a code violation or not.

Brand doesn't matter just needs to fit the bus.

There are several variations so best to take one with you when you go

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Williams View Post
    It's most likely a Cutler Hammer BR series load center. There are a number of manufacturers who use the same style bus bar in their load centers, and their breaker will snap into a BR load center. Probably why you have a variety of breakers in the panel. I'm not sure if mixing breakers is a code violation or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

'Just to be sure these points are clear...there are alternative manufacturers of breakers for various panel systems. What's most important is that the breaker you buy is designed to fit the specific panel system you have. For example, my panels are Siemens and while I generally buy Siemens breakers, I can also buy, I believe, Murray branded breakers that are designed for Siemens panel systems. The same is likely true for your Cutler Hammer panel system. I'm not personally familiar with the options, but an electrical supply (and even the 'borg in some cases" can help you get the correct type of breaker for your panel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I guess I will bring a breaker down with me to the shop so I don't need to make two trips

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

That is absolutely false, there are a lot of "will fit" breakers only breakers listed for that panel, or breakers that are UL classified should be be used in that panel, The Eaton BR are quite common, & as much as I hate the BR series panels & breakers, every product line has to have someone at the bottom & the Bryant, Westinghouse, Cutler-Hammer, Eaton, BR line is it, I call them Zinsco II, & they do share Zinsco heritage, that is the brand of breaker I would use in a BR panel, they do manufacture another line CH, that is my preferred panel, they can be identified by the sandalwood colored handles on the circuit breakers.