Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best choice TS for precision work for small projects Last saw I will ever buy

best choice TS for precision work for small projects Last saw I will ever buy

I am 75 year old who likes making boxes and small furniture projects. No need to cut 4x8 panels. I want a very accurate fence system and very accurate 45 degree bevel cuts. I am a believer in incra miter gauge. I would like to keep the cost below $1500. I used a Rigid contractors saw for years and was pretty happy with it.........moved to a Dewalt job site saw and was very unhappy with it. Now I am selling Maine lakefront cottage and air conditioning my Florida garage. Which saw should I buy?

Bought a new Unisaw in 05, left tilt, Biesemeyer fence. The saw was set up accurately, can cut 45 degree rips and make a box with NO loose corner. The Biesemeyer fence is about as good as you can get. The miter gauge could be better, maybe your incra would do. I added a shark guard, and increased the dc connection to 6"below.

Lots of used unisaws that would work great for that price

How about that Inca saw for sale in the classified. Looks pretty precision to me
    Aj

I too am a believer in Incra miter gauge. I have three. Once you take the time to minutely adjust them to your equipment, they are amazingly reliable. And I agree with SB above that a good used unisaw will fit your needs. Arbor runout is the biggest bugaboo. All I have is a Delta/Rockwell contractors table saw from the mid 1970's (which I proudly bought new as a ute) but even though it is very well built, I'm still dealing with about 6-8 thou of blade runout. Even that, is really not so bad. I can make mitered boxes or picture frames with joints that look perfect. So I would look for a well kept used Unisaw or maybe just buy a new Grizzly 1023.

I don't know if you've ever owned a jointer, but IMO an accurate jointer is much more valuable than an accurate table saw.

Sorry to see you leave New England. They will have to carry me out in an urn.

http://www.reinhard-ag.com/pkn350.html
    Reinhard made in Switzerland.
    For reference the PKN 350 model is about $60,000

Precisaw
    05-precisaw_orig[1].jpg

PKN200

01-pkn200-reinhard-ag_1_orig[1].png

PKN 350

01-pkn350_1_orig[1].jpg

+1 on a clean, used Unisaw.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

You might consider a relatively inexpensive saw and the Incra LS/TS combos. These will give you a precision, microadjustable table saw fence, and even better, a microadjustable router table fence. For small boxes, this would allow you to use a 45 chamfer bit for your miters. It would also allow you do dovetails, etc. The carriage on the LS is deeper than a typical router fence.

Eventually, you could consider the "Wonderfence" for the LS system which makes jointing an edge extremely precise.

I own a 9" Rockwell contractors table saw and it is a very good saw for the money and size. The smaller size and inexpensive price of them leaves money for other things. 9" blades are available.

You might consider a Hammond printer’s saw, if you can find one. Highly accurate and a perfect size for making boxes.

Blog Entries
    This site might help.

https://www.thesharpcut.com/

One of my son's has a Sawstop. It is probably the pick of the litter.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-18-2018 at 1:01 PM.

Hi Jim

Thanks for commenting. I am looking at a used unisaw w 36 fence, sanding disk, dado set for $1000. Looks brand new in pic. IS that price a bit high?

Quote Originally Posted by tom coleman View Post
    ...I am looking at a used unisaw w 36 fence, sanding disk, dado set for $1000. Looks brand new in pic. IS that price a bit high?
    If truly mint, sure. Otherwise make him a fair offer.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    http://www.reinhard-ag.com/pkn350.html
    Reinhard made in Switzerland.
    For reference the PKN 350 model is about $60,000

Precisaw
    05-precisaw_orig[1].jpg

PKN200

01-pkn200-reinhard-ag_1_orig[1].png

PKN 350

01-pkn350_1_orig[1].jpg
    What's the little guy that Mafell sells? That seems like a solid little unit.

Quote Originally Posted by tom coleman View Post
    Hi Jim

Thanks for commenting. I am looking at a used unisaw w 36 fence, sanding disk, dado set for $1000. Looks brand new in pic. IS that price a bit high?
    Not if it fits your budget......