Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best choice TS for precision work for small projects Last saw I will ever buy

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    What's the little guy that Mafell sells? That seems like a solid little unit.
    The Mafell Erika, sorry don't know anything about it.

Ulmia from Germany made a range of nice small tablesaws in the 80's, they haven'y made them for years, but you can pick them up used once in a while.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 06-18-2018 at 4:09 PM.

Used short stroke sliders like the Hammer 39", Rojek 250, or Bursgren BGS 10 ( rare but sweet ). If you have the room, a Delta 9" as mentioned above with a Hammond Glider. A short slider is very precise for small work. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    The Mafell Erika, sorry don't know anything about it.

That's the one.

Here

A bit more than the $1500 budget though.

If i were seeing up for your application, I would opt for multiple, low cost contractor saws. Each would end up dialed in for a specific use.

I agree that a used Unisaw or Powermatic 66 would be a good choice. Older ones can be found for very good prices if you don't mind doing a little clean up, bearing replacement and so on. Neither saw changed much for decades, and there is a wealth of information on restoring old woodworking machinery at owwm dot org and vintagemachinery dot org.

considering your price range a used cabinet saw and some jigs, each jig does what you need. It will do all you want and can be very accurate. I made 175 boxes duplicating what someone else had made after he retired and the cabinet saw worked fine. I did buy a new blade. Some stuff on older saws is pretty poor, mitre gauges are sad on my Generals one even manufactured so poor the bar sits proud of the table so ground it down. id rather tweak one of those than go near any portable saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    How about that Inca saw for sale in the classified. Looks pretty precision to me
    My thoughts exactly! Cool little saw, needs a good home. Asking $700.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....tra-blades-700

I have a 1023..after installing a new arbor, and careful set-up, it cuts very well. Miters too. IF the miters are not up to snuff, off the saw, a sharp hand plane combined with shooting board will do the job.
    That is what works for me. YMMV..........bill....

One of these I reckon

Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

10. There are a few companies that produce the kind of saw you really need. Chances are you won't have to increase your budget, but some of them can be really expensive in today's market. Others here have made good suggestions, but if you're okay with getting something a little cheaper, you could try something like the Makita 2705 Contractor Table Saw (10-inch). Features:

• 3 position adjustable spreader
    • 15 amp motor
    • Dual slide guards (adjustable)
    • Excellent cutting capacity
    • 3/8 × 3/4 inch miter gauge (T-slot)

Obviously, there are other options you can explore. You can get some good information on the best models here (just navigate to the appropriate resource). Maybe this can still help someone coming across this thread months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    My thoughts exactly! Cool little saw, needs a good home. Asking $700.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....tra-blades-700
    I have this saw at home. Nice little setup with the mortising attachment and tenon tool.

Others have provided good options for a saw but if you don’t have one I would also recommend a digital angle gauge. Wixey is the most known brand. They cost about 30 dollars and can dial in the blade to whatever angle you want with a great degree of prescion.

Any name brand cast iron saw that has good bearings and arbor will work for what you want. For small work, you can leave the wings off to save room too.

I have no experience with INCRA fences to offer. My Unifence has always been accurate though.

Suggestion: Whatever you get consider using 7 1/4" skil saw type blades. Really thin kerf, less runout, and cheap. HD had a sale last week with two Freud Diablo 24 (rip) for $10, they also have 40 and 60 tooth for crosscuts and ply. Plenty big enough for small work, and dirt cheap.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Buy a new Grizzly 1023 and make a sled like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njsD5W6fcI0

More accurate than an Incra (I have one) when set up with a five cut method, and very good with very small parts.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-01-2018 at 2:07 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

15. Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Buy a new Grizzly 1023 and make a sled like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njsD5W6fcI0

More accurate than an Incra (I have one) when set up with a five cut method, and very good with very small parts.
    This one is a very nice saw, made in Taiwan and really, really well made! Brand new, with full warranty, on sale and right at your budget. Dealt with them for over 35 years and have a daily presence at the factory by our engineers from the Grizzly Taiwan office. This factory is 10 minutes away from Grizzly office.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...le-Saw/G1023RL