Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spindle adapter for threading jig

Revised 3D design

I've added the lock knob for the lateral slide, and hex bolts to be able to replace the side plates. I have about 50 5/16"-18 threaded inserts left over from a drawer handle project, so I can use them embedded in the horizontals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    I can purchase other 3/4" diameter thread rod configurations from McMaster Carr and get the hex nuts to fit. So it is adaptable. I'll see it I can make it work, then decide if I can afford to go further. The collet has been delayed 'til Monday.
    Mike Peace - your article and videos are really inspiring and if this works, all the better. If it doesn't, maybe post an addendum to your video and make a disclaimer?
    Thanks for your support. I don't have a video showing how to make a jig. I did post this video which one might consider a disclaimer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGS-fcl2LM
    God is great and life is good!

Thanks Mike. I have been doing Honey-Do's all weekends, so progress has been slow. Almost there, though. I'll post pictures and maybe a video if I can get it to work like expected. It should do well for my amateur abilities.

A little late to the party on this one. But there is a guy on IAP that makes specialized tooling for penturners and one of the items is spindle adapters. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f349...ssories-92501/
    If he doesn't stock it, I bet he could make what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    A little late to the party on this one. But there is a guy on IAP that makes specialized tooling for penturners and one of the items is spindle adapters. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f349...ssories-92501/
    If he doesn't stock it, I bet he could make what you need.
    Thanks, Marvin, but I had a Nova adapter for 5/8" diameter Shopsmith shaft remachined to fit inside the adapters for 1-1/4"-8 TPI at work. So I am goo now. Cut the side verticals tonight (measure twice, cut once, and still got it wrong - luckily too long). I'll drill all of the holes for spacer tubes and all thread rods tomorrow, and assemble by the weekend. Might have threads to take picture of by Sunday.

Just an update - I have made steady, but slow progress. The base assembly is almost completely fabricated and fits on the lathe well. The Leadscrew riser assembly ended up too tall, and I had to slot the upper side mounting holes to lower the center of the all-thread shaft. I had a lot of 5/16-18 UNC thread inserts remaining from my pantry drawer project, so they are getting used wherever possible. So many trips back and forth to HD for the appropriate screws, but getting really close. Pictures will be coming when completed. I am really getting anxious to turn a vessel and put treads on the inner and outer joints.