Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spindle adapter for threading jig

Revised 3D design

I've added the lock knob for the lateral slide, and hex bolts to be able to replace the side plates. I have about 50 5/16"-18 threaded inserts left over from a drawer handle project, so I can use them embedded in the horizontals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    I can purchase other 3/4" diameter thread rod configurations from McMaster Carr and get the hex nuts to fit. So it is adaptable. I'll see it I can make it work, then decide if I can afford to go further. The collet has been delayed 'til Monday.
    Mike Peace - your article and videos are really inspiring and if this works, all the better. If it doesn't, maybe post an addendum to your video and make a disclaimer?
    Thanks for your support. I don't have a video showing how to make a jig. I did post this video which one might consider a disclaimer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGS-fcl2LM
    God is great and life is good!

Thanks Mike. I have been doing Honey-Do's all weekends, so progress has been slow. Almost there, though. I'll post pictures and maybe a video if I can get it to work like expected. It should do well for my amateur abilities.

A little late to the party on this one. But there is a guy on IAP that makes specialized tooling for penturners and one of the items is spindle adapters. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f349...ssories-92501/
    If he doesn't stock it, I bet he could make what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    A little late to the party on this one. But there is a guy on IAP that makes specialized tooling for penturners and one of the items is spindle adapters. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f349...ssories-92501/
    If he doesn't stock it, I bet he could make what you need.
    Thanks, Marvin, but I had a Nova adapter for 5/8" diameter Shopsmith shaft remachined to fit inside the adapters for 1-1/4"-8 TPI at work. So I am goo now. Cut the side verticals tonight (measure twice, cut once, and still got it wrong - luckily too long). I'll drill all of the holes for spacer tubes and all thread rods tomorrow, and assemble by the weekend. Might have threads to take picture of by Sunday.

Just an update - I have made steady, but slow progress. The base assembly is almost completely fabricated and fits on the lathe well. The Leadscrew riser assembly ended up too tall, and I had to slot the upper side mounting holes to lower the center of the all-thread shaft. I had a lot of 5/16-18 UNC thread inserts remaining from my pantry drawer project, so they are getting used wherever possible. So many trips back and forth to HD for the appropriate screws, but getting really close. Pictures will be coming when completed. I am really getting anxious to turn a vessel and put treads on the inner and outer joints.

Well, I got the jig all finished, and FAIL. I was showing my wife my wonderful creation (which has occupied my spare time for about 4 weeks) and I placed my Japanese Maple Mallet in the Nova G3 chuck and placed it onto the leadscrew adapter. As soon as the wood started to contact the cutter the downward load moment showed me that my dovetail on the right side was nowhere near tight enough. The whole riser assembly started to get pulled downward. Of course, I shut the lathe off, and first thing this morning I woke with a new brainstorm to repair the hold down mechanism. Perhaps it will work as is for a small objects (the mallet is about 12" long with a 5" diameter striking head, probably 3 lbs, plus the chuck), But I really want to go large.

I sent you a PM.

Not sure if Brice got my reply, so here's a recap:

I went to the jig this morning and changed out the cams the push the right hand dovetail guide. That actually seems to work for locking the sway out of the leadscrew base assembly. So, a bit more confident, I turned a small cylindrical jar of spalted silver maple, and cut the recess for the treads to be cut into. I re-installed the jig, and transferred to Nova G3 with the jar to it; installed the collet and cutter, and I was ready to go. Now the problem appears to be the vertical slop in the 2 x 3/4"-10 UNC nuts that are embedded into the leadscrew block. When the cutter engages a portion of perhaps out of round wood, it creates a bucking reaction within the leadscrew. I had planned to make keeper/backlash eliminator washers; so that's my next step. So, I am shooting at a moving target.

I may have to save my spare change (yeah, where's that?) and spring for a Baxter or chefwarekits milled aluinum assembly. For the cost of a Baxter, I may try to find a used small combo mill/lathe and make my own out of aluminum and steel.

UPDATE: Yesterday I reinforced the 3/4-10 UNC nuts into the leadscrew block with Dunham's Putty, and drilled a couple of 3/4" flatwashers for screws and capped them over the nuts (after the putty had set, and I confirmed the screw still worked). So now hopefully the torque and the leadscrew, and the thread backlash has been negated. Tonight, I just re-cut the treads on the cylinder box, and the cam locks on the lateral slide and the backlash/torque issues seem to be resolved. I got pretty good threads on the spalted silver maple (I changed the belt to the high speed setting to get full 2500 rpm's). Now I am going to clean up the ouside of the box, and make a lid with appropriate oversized tenon for the male threads and do a trial fit up. Fingers crossed, and photos to follow.

BTW: The cams locks on the right side dovetail track lock the lateral slide pretty well. I might add another lock knob on that all-thread just for safety, later.

Success - sort of. At least I was able to cut threads on both the male and female, and amazingly they screw together. Here's a few picture of my rig and 1st attempt.
    DSCN0822.jpgDSCN0824.jpgDSCN0835.jpgDSCN0823.jpgDSCN0826.jpg
    Whole assembly; ower vessel on the adapter on the chuck; The modified Nova/Shopsmith adapter (that this thread was started to find); Lateral adjustment all-thread (1/4-20 UNC x 20" long); Leadscrew feed (3/4-10 UNC x 12" long, modifeied to 5/8" diameter to fit Nova adapter) and showing one backlash adjuster washer in place.DSCN0833.jpg Jar with lid screwed onto it. NOT quite dead centered, but at least I cut mating threads first try. YIPPEE!!

Nice going Mark !

Thanks, Brice. I was ecstatic that my first piece actually fit together. It would've been great to have more threads to work with, but I had no idea how much space it was going to require. It also would be really cool to match the grain lines, but I'll get that later. I have a lot to learn, but I can figure it out.

Here is a video by As Wood Turns of his version of a threading jig with links for the parts that are not very expensive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAcgfq_WthM&t=331s

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kuykendall View Post
    Here is a video by As Wood Turns of his version of a threading jig with links for the parts that are not very expensive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAcgfq_WthM&t=331s
    Scott: Thanks for the link, but I have already done my system, and so far it works. I might have about $90 total in it, using fasteners and wood I had in the shop, and going to online suppliers for the collet and cutter. It is way cheaper that a decent cross feed drill vise of that magnitude. They cost between $60-$120 online, plus shipping, and I'd still have to buy the collet and cutter. Besides I had to get from the bed of the lathe to center of spindle (11.125"), and the cross feed vises would still need to have a riser block. Like I stated before if I need to spring for a store bought well manufactured unit, then I guess I'd have to save up and wait.