Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Wrights Eclectic Work Shop

Blog Entries

Wood Wrights Eclectic Work Shop

There is a plastic tub of books in my garage workshop that contains some of my woodworking books. It is where my books were stored when the
    Hurricane Harvey flood hit. I have always been a Roy Underhill fan and found his book "The Wood Wright's Eclectic Workshop". It was published
    in 1991. I really enjoy his banter, humor, and knowledge. It is a coffee table book and will reside there while I read a chapter or two for entertainment.

The tub is now in my computer room book shelf.

As I recall, Roy had something like 6 books out ( have read all 6, too)....some are "workbooks"

I have a set of his books too and also found them entertaining.

JKJ

I like his books too, but they are more fascinating agglomerations of tidbits than straightforward exposition. His most recent Wedge and Edge one is much more organized, which I assume is his daughter's doing.

Roy appeared at a local Woodcraft show and I conned a day off from work to attend. Bought his book and Roy autographed it on the spot. I admire him and his point of view and reread the book often.
    Joe

I'm jealous. That must have been awesome. Was he wearing his TV clothes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogers View Post
    Roy appeared at a local Woodcraft show and I conned a day off from work to attend. Bought his book and Roy autographed it on the spot. I admire him and his point of view and reread the book often.
    Joe

I got to meet him at a Lie-Nielsen open house a few years back (he did the presentation that year). Always been a huge fan of his work (both woodworking and the way he teaches) and I'm really happy to have met him.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I met Roy on a Williamsburg trip many years ago. We were both still pups then.

He doesn't remember me, but I sure remember him.
    He is as friendly in person as he is on TV.

I admire/respect his work....
    Jerry

Check out his TED Talk on YouTube - “Have Broad Axe Will Travel.”

We were in Williamsburg a few years ago attending the Woodworking in the Eighteenth Century conference. Roy was the after dinner speaker at the annual dinner. We were all waiting outside the dining hall waiting for the doors to open. Roy came out, axe in hand raised above his head shouting, "These are my people, let them in!" Always the showman. You gotta love him.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Roy was at the annual PATINA show a few years back, prior to his opening his school. He was dressed in normal street clothes, and was pretty much incognito until someone let his identity known. He may have had about two minutes of torture, but after that, everyone was back to their tool hunt.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Being from NC, I have met Roy and taken several classes at the Woodright's School. He's a top notch teacher of hand tool woodworking. He's also very giving of his knowledge and time, every class I attended lasted well into the evening.

From time to time, I go through periods where I lose interest in woodwork. All I have to do is pick up one of his books (my favorite is The Woodwright's Companion) and I snap right back to work.

Roy did the forward for my book and I was lucky enough to be a featured presenter with him at Woodworking in America a couple years back. He is a national treasure.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I'm jealous. That must have been awesome. Was he wearing his TV clothes?
    Just the hat.
    Joe