Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plane hammer?

plane hammer?

I'm looking for a hammer to use with my wooden planes. What is a good weight for the hammer? Do you have one to recommend? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I'm looking for a hammer to use with my wooden planes. What is a good weight for the hammer? Do you have one to recommend? Thanks.
    James,

The best I've found is from Sterling Tool Works. Brass on one side and phenolic on the other. It is perfect for adjusting wood stock planes.

ken

One of the members (and a mod?) here sells nice looking and well performing plane hammers, along with marking knives. Perhaps he will drop in.
    David

Just make your own, it's a nice weekend project. A short section of one inch brass bar and handle and you're good to go.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I agree on make your own. They're pretty simple to make and low cost. Here's a tutorial on how to make one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have made mallets in the past. This time I would like to purchase the hammer.

I was gifted one from Lee Valley that is quite nice.

I have this one and like it fine.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I’ve been happy with the Wile plane hammer by Veritas.
    0EDFEE73-0F18-4D9B-9014-EC1643C07E34.jpeg

IMAG0042.jpg
    7oz (maybe..) cross pean riveting hammer...also a great brad hammer, and works with mortise chisels....cross pean can also get into the Stanley 45 to adjust the lateral on a cutter...

You want taps, and not whacks, when making adjustments. It seems like there is a lot of personal preference in weight & shape to achieve that. (Though that Wile Veritas one sure is pretty.)

One cheaper option recommended in a recent thread (which I can't find, so maybe a different forum?) is:

Grace 8oz Brass Hammer at H.J. Epstein

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I’ve been happy with the Wile plane hammer by Veritas.
    0EDFEE73-0F18-4D9B-9014-EC1643C07E34.jpeg
    That's the one I was gifted. I have been really happy with it.

I have the Wile plane hamnnmer and like it as well.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Found a Grace 8oz brass and delrin hammer to be pretty good. Delrin for knocking on the body to get the blade out, bras to adjust the blade. I did reshape the handle though since it comes pretty chunky for a small hammer.