Thread: Generac pressure washer

Generac pressure washer

I’ve been circling the wagons on a pressure washer this season. Are the Generac models worth the premium price? The extra accessories certainly look useful. The online reviews are either sunshine or death to Generac with little in between. The stuff in stock at the borgs looks junky so it looks like an online order is the way to go in any case.

William

I can't speak to Generac's pressure washers, but I was in the same boat considering their generators last fall.
    I noticed in reviews of Generic's products that the negatives had some common themes.

1. They were purchased through Amazon. Nothing wrong at all with buying through Amazon, but you're buying sight unseen.
    2. Some of the reviewers had no idea how a generator was supposed to work and hooked it up incorrectly, or wanted to hook it up incorrectly and were upset that they could not. Some even modified the generators straight out of the box and were upset that Generac wouldn't help them violate electrical codes, or tell them how to bypass safety feature on their products.
    3. Some folks gave some fairly negative reviews because they lacked the tools and mechanical aptitude to perform some basic assembly.
    4. Generac's Online,and phone, customer service seems to be very poor.

I bought my Generator at Lowes and had it shipped to the store. Upon arrival we removed it from the shipping crate and made sure that it wasn't damaged, and that all of the accessory parts were there. I saved between $200.00 to $600.00 over online prices, by purchasing it at Lowes.
    I took it home and immediately assembled it and tested it. Consumer protection laws in CT are such that within 3 days the seller has to take the product back if it is defective. None of that nonsense about working with the manufacturer. I'm fairly certain that most, if not all, states have similar laws. Most folks just don't realize that they exist.
    I have a Generac sales/service store 10 miles from the house. They had no issue that I purchased at Lowes, and told me that if I had any issues I could bring it to them.

I will buy a lot of stuff through Amazon, but there are some things I won't. A pressure washer would fall into that category.
    I would purchase it from a brick and mortar store and have them set it up and operate it for you prior to use. That way you know it works,before it leaves the store.

By the way, The Generac generator I purchased works exactly the way it is supposed to and is a very well built unit. They do nice work.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-17-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Pressure washers are all about the pumps.
    Do your research on what is a good pump. Then Pressure Washer brand for service and support.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I know nothing of the Generac ones, but I've used a Mi-T-M 2505 since the mid '90's. I remember one week where it was run all day, every day, has run more than a few full days since then, and still works fine. The first 11hp B&S wore out a couple of years ago, and it's still working, as good as new, with a 13hp Honda on it. I've never been in the pump, except to change pump oil. They make a lot of different models in various pressure ranges, and flow rates. Mine is 4.4 GPM at 2500 psi, which is not too much pressure, if you're careful, to use on wood.

If I ever need another one, I'll get another one of these.

I bought a DeWalt pressure washer from Home Depot and have been satisfied. It has a Honda engine and a good pump. That was a few years ago so I don't know anything about the current model.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought a Simpson pro unit that I used for my business. I would use it to clean gum off sidewalks but had to use their sand injector for that. I bought it in 1987 and it still washes like it did when new. Even without the sand you had to be careful not to etch the concrete

I'm worried that your thread is getting derailed with "Well, I don't own a Generac, but here's my experience" but I'll add my two cents.

My old pressure washer gave up the ghost this spring halfway through my annual deck wash. I searched for a replacement, but like you, was underwhelmed by the models at the BORGs. I checked Amazon, which had good prices, but noticed that many of the top-rated models had complaints about delivery, and damage inflicted by shipping. I thought about Northern Tool, who had a great selection, but their prices were very, very, high compared to the alternatives.

Then I remembered that Sam's carries pressure washers, checked them out, and came home with a Simpson MS60920 3200 PSI 2.5 gpm model. It's not a pro machine, for sure, but it does what I needed it to do. Honda motor, decent pump (even if it's axial cam -- at least it's horizontal.) Here's the good part: On initial set-up, I noticed that a hitch pin for one of the wheels was missing. I emailed the company, and received a reply from the National Service Manager within minutes. He identified the part and had one of his shipping folks send one UPS by the end of the day. Needless to say, I was impressed by the response, and felt better about buying a Simpson product right away.

So, if you are a member of Sam's or Costco, that might be an alternative.

Thanks John.

Yes, it's pretty much headed toward a series of "here's what I bought", but whatever.

I might end up with a Simpson unit only because that's what I can find locally, and I refuse to ship something this heavy. Every single review I've read comments on shipping damage.

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    I'm worried that your thread is getting derailed with "Well, I don't own a Generac, but here's my experience" but I'll add my two cents.

My old pressure washer gave up the ghost this spring halfway through my annual deck wash. I searched for a replacement, but like you, was underwhelmed by the models at the BORGs. I checked Amazon, which had good prices, but noticed that many of the top-rated models had complaints about delivery, and damage inflicted by shipping. I thought about Northern Tool, who had a great selection, but their prices were very, very, high compared to the alternatives.

Then I remembered that Sam's carries pressure washers, checked them out, and came home with a Simpson MS60920 3200 PSI 2.5 gpm model. It's not a pro machine, for sure, but it does what I needed it to do. Honda motor, decent pump (even if it's axial cam -- at least it's horizontal.) Here's the good part: On initial set-up, I noticed that a hitch pin for one of the wheels was missing. I emailed the company, and received a reply from the National Service Manager within minutes. He identified the part and had one of his shipping folks send one UPS by the end of the day. Needless to say, I was impressed by the response, and felt better about buying a Simpson product right away.

So, if you are a member of Sam's or Costco, that might be an alternative.

Guess I'm the only one here WITH a Generac? It's a 2700psi unit, it wasn't all that expensive, I've had it 4 years I think, maybe longer, it's used regularly, even without a primer just choke it, it starts 1st or 2nd pull, unchoke it and go. It works great, doesn't leak, still on all the original o-rings (but not for long)

short version, it does what I want it to, and it does nothing I don't want it to
    genpw.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle