Thread: Early single dovetail drawers

Early single dovetail drawers

Just a small discovery I'd like to share.

Back when I was making my spice chest / medicine chest, I looked at a lot of 17th century antique examples. Every one of them had nailed drawers. Simple and crude, and I wanted it a little more up class. I had seen large drawers, sidehung with a singel big dovetail on each corner. I used that example in my interpretation. Single dovetail on each corner, bottom nailed.

foto 2 (1).jpg

To my surprise I found yesterday a similar construction in the drawers of this nice little chest on one of my favorite antique dealer sites. So my guess wasn't entirely complete noncense! Of course, there is no knowing how old this piece is exactly. It was made in the country side where things always happened decades later. The seller thinks very early 18th century, based on the style. It certainly is something between the very simple boarded and nailed examples of the earlier times and the very elaborate 18th century spice cabinets for wealthy people.

Website with more pictures: http://www.fiskeandfreeman.com/Produ...fers+%26+Boxes

xj108ii.jpg

That's interesting Kees! Do you find the single large dovetail to be as durable as several smaller ones used together?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Well I haven’t used it much yet but it didn’t fall apart all of its own! I’m not afraid, this antique one looks well used with the drawers still tight. Theee drawers sure are small and lightweight just like mine.

Thanks for sharing, Kees. That’s an interesting look...I like it...perhaps a bit larger (like the antique) would be my preference. I would think with modern glues and a relatively tight joint, it would last a good lifetime or two.

Yes I agree, the pins on mine are a tad small. It looks burlier with the larger pins.

Kees,

I've made a number of small boxes with single dovetails. They hold up well. I've also made a workbench tool tray with a single tail at two of the corners that is in use daily. I would expect a single tail would work for drawers with no problem as well.

I agree, in spite of CS , a single tail is better than nails.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 06-18-2018 at 1:08 AM.

If the drawer is narrow enough and the sides thick enough, sure, but I will say just because a piece is an antique doesn't mean it was built properly. My wife and I frequently stay in historic home B&B's full of very old furniture. Of course I have to "inspect" them. What I see most is beautiful on the outside, but some quite shoddy work on the inside and often no regard for wood movement whatsoever.

A single dovetail is just a shortcut way to do it and not good technique. It will be less stable and more prone to failure. I've seen some apothecary and chest type drawers done this way and I've also seen nails securing the large central tail because is was cupping or coming loose due to lack of glue surface.