A few years ago I picked up a 1071A box at the local ReStore for about $25. A couple weeks ago I stopped in there again and there was a large back saw. It was very dirty, but the saw plate and back were straight, straight, straight. $15, so I scooped it up took it home and found that it was manuf by Simons Saw our of Fitchburg, MA. Further excavation showed a faint etching of Millers Falls Langdon Miter box. Score!!! I am so very pleased to have put this together. I put some time into it this afternoon, cleaned up the box and it is sweet. I cut a 4/4x10" white oak board and it was perfectly square. The saw is a bit hollowed in the center as that is where all the action is in a miter box saw, but that is for future.

I am missing one part. On Badaxetools.com I have the manual for the box and I am in need of Pt#14537, the "Elevator Post-Up" fitting. It is the spring catch that holds the saw in the up position. Any idea where I might find such an animal? The factory manual says they are $.42 each.

While looking into this box and saw I read the histories of Simon's Saw from the 1860's on. As well at Oldtoolheaven.com I found the history of Millers Falls from the 1850's on until purchased by Ingersoll Rand. I lived in MA for many years so I am familiar with the geography. If you choose to read the histories of the two companies I believe it will be well worth your time. It is a step back in time to a period of manuf development. I would suggest that you have a MA map. It will help understand the lay-out. You will enjoy this.